Friday, January 18, 2013
1. "Pest control" came by this afternoon and sprayed a bit in the kitchen and bathroom. Just a squirt here and there.
2. Ms. S. opted for a 'Quorn' burger tonight and found it rather meaty. I had a bite and concur. An interesting alternative.
3. Last night's bread? Back on track ... for a number of loaves I've been off my game, perhaps not kneading enough, getting the balance of ingredients wrong, not letting it rise enough, or bake long enough. But the white bread, based on Michael Ruhlman's 'ratio' and his blog post about fluffy white bread, turned out great. About 100 calories per slice, with 20 slices per loaf (so all rather thin).
4. Ah, roasted carrots. Wash and slice. Then dry. Then toss in a dry mixture of flour, cornmeal, paprika, salt, baking powder, and dill. Drain the excess, then coat in oil (canola is fine). Roast on 400 about an hour to 75 minutes. Tender on the inside, a little crispy but not burnt on the outside.
5. Our bad, bad movies? (a) "Aerobi-Cide" (aka Killer Workout, 1987) followed by (b) "House on Haunted Hill" (1999 -- over-qualified cast!) and, likely, (c) "The House of the Devil".