Dealing with the first setbacks of the new year
Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Little more than two weeks into the new year and all that fresh excitement is beginning to wane. I promised I wasn't going to let an all or nothing attitude kill my efforts this time, and so far it hasn't. However, a ton of real world blows have slowed things down considerably and made it kind of hard to really care about much of anything. Just to remind myself that I haven't really stopped no matter how dejected I've felt (and still feel), I need to make another list. So, since last time, here are the things that have stuck and a few new things.
1) Still drinking plenty of water.
2) Still avoiding fast food, mostly. I am often hitting up Subway for lunch, but I can't sit in my car to order, pay, and receive my food so it really doesn't count. That's my ruling, anyway. I've also been leaving out the soda, chips and cookies, so it *really* doesn't count, right?
3) I went through a TON of paper debris in my bedroom, got rid of two garbage bags full. I still have a LOT more of this to do, but so much better than it was. As a sort of corollary to that, I have been opening my mail as soon as I get it, reading it, and throwing it away... or doing whatever with it, but no more mail hoarding! No more piles.
4) I have been pretty consistent about jotting a paragraph or so in my journal every day or every few days. At the very least, it helps to funnel off some stress, because work is ridiculous right now.
5) So far I have had only one seven-hour night, but that is MAJOR. It's been sooo long since I have had a regular night's sleep on a regular night of the week. Usually, it's however many I can get during the week and then sleep all weekend. If I can repeat this once or twice more this week, I might actually get up early enough Saturday to do some more damage to my endless stacks of paper.
Fortunately, it's all about surviving this week. Once Friday comes, I'll actually have some things to look forward to. Like PAYDAY, for one. I have been *really* tight this week and it's been awful. Saturday there's a Christmas party at my Dad's house. Yes, Christmas. It seems like it always takes until January or so to assemble that side of the family all in one place. Then Sunday and Monday, are mine. To sleep, to clean, to hit the gym, to stay at home and read "The Life of Pi"... doesn't matter 'cuz it's President's Day! Wheee! Long weekends are glorious, and I am really going to need this one.