Wednesday, January 16, 2013
It's the middle of January already! Time flies fast! So I thought I'd do a mid-month check-in on my goals for this year just to keep myself accountable and staying positive :)
To recap my goals for 2013:
* Lose 15 lbs
* Run two 1/2 marathons
* Read 40 books
* Identify one positive thing each day.
* Minimize eating out.
1) So far I have lost 1.4 pounds. I am happy with that. Losing slowly means it is more likely I will keep it off. I know I am doing what I can to achieve this goal.
2) I have been running consistently since the last week of December. I started off running 2 miles at a slow pace and I am up to 3 miles. My half marathon training plan officially begins next week and after yesterday's run I feel like my body is ready to begin the training! I have also been doing full body circuit workouts to keep my muscles strong (I am seeing great arm definition!) and I have been doing workouts on the elliptical to get in my cross-training and prevent injuries!
3) I have completed one book so far and I have 40 pages left on the book I am currently reading, so I will probably finish that tonight!
4) Every single day I have written down one positive thing in my journal, and it is really helping! I do this at night before I go to sleep, so when I do get in bed I am thinking about that positive thing, rather than worrying about the negatives. I am actually sleeping much better!
5) I am doing pretty well with the eating out. Monday evening was the first time I ate out since I had been back from NJ, which is huge for me!
So, overall I think I am doing great with my goals! And I feel happier. Don't get me wrong - I still have my moments - I cried a lot on Sunday for no apparent reason other than I just felt like I needed to get it out, but then I picked up and moved on with my day. I am really proud of myself for my workouts.
On Monday I ended up taking another rest day. It was so so cold out. My car thermostat registered 8 degrees out when I left work. I had no desire to workout and I didnt even go grocery shopping (it didnt help that I left my grocery list in my office by accident). I ended up getting Chinese food for dinner. Big fail. Way too many calories, and I didnt enjoy it as much as I thought I would :( But it's just one day - gotta pick up and move on. Tuesday morning I could not wake up for work so no workout in the am happened. But I still had my gym bag packed from the day before so after work I made it happen. I got in a 2.5 mile treadmill run and it was fantastic. I didnt struggle towards the end and actually wanted to keep going - except I had set the treadmill for distance and couldnt figure out how to change it; and I needed to go grocery shopping. The grocery shopping took forever - the commissary was seriously busy last night - then I remembered it was pay day. But I stocked up on healthy foods! Had leftovers when I got home, and then set to work making "salads in a jar" for the rest of the week for lunch!
My salad in a jar consisted of (from bottom to top):
* Bruschetta salad dressing (2 tbsp)
* Sliced red onion
* Halved grape tomatoes
* Italian seasoned croutons
* Grilled Chicken
* Iceberg lettuce blend.
I just ate it, and it was so yummy! And actually pretty filling!!
This morning my alarm when off at 5am. It woke me out of a dead sleep and I was so not wanting to work out, so I reset the alarm...and then 5 minutes later I got out of bed and worked out because I knew I had no reason not to. I did 1/2 of the ChaLean Extreme Burn Intervals (I didnt have enough time to do the entire 45 minutes) but I still burned 175 calories in 20 minutes so I cant complain. Plus, it woke me up! I made an egg mug from my new Hungry Girl recipe book! I am not sure how I feel about it. I used egg beaters because that is what hte recipe called for, but I made just use regular eggs next time. I think egg beaters taste weird. My egg mug had egg beaters, spinach, chopped red onion, diced tomatoes, and basil in it. I also had an english muffin with peanut butter. Yum!
I switched protein powders. I had been drinking GNC's Lean Shake 25 in Rich Chocolate. And it was yummy. But it has like 8 grams of fiber, and I am not really lacking in fiber and felt like I was getting too much (i.e. I was gassy a lot), so I switched to Optimum Nutrition's Rich Double Chocolate whey protein. I tried it for the first time this morning and I am not impressed. It just tasted bland. I mixed it with a cup of milk, and then added a few ice cubes and blended it. It wasnt as thick as I would have liked. I dont know what to do to make it taste better. It tasted kind of watery, even though I added milk. *sigh* I just bought it and I refuse to waste money so I have to keep drinking it. Maybe if I add peanut butter to it, or more ice cubes than the measly three or four I used.. I dont know.
I've been pretty busy at work lately, so I need to cut this short and get back to my work pile. Its really only because I had to go to an event yesterday after lunch and was out of the office all afternoon, plus I had an hour long webcast to watch yesterday morning, and this morning, and I filled in for my boss this morning at a meeting. So really, I havent been around much to get my actual work done. Planning to get in an elliptical session after work today. :)