Wednesday, January 16, 2013
The entire last month has been trying--some self created, some external--but terribly tiring all the same!!When I came home in July with Lotta and Meha I realised that one that the wall behind one of the sections under the Kitchen counter was sopping wet--and a steady trickle was flowing into my precious Non Stickware--which I used with utmost care!!What was worse was that these had been kept there for safe keeping--away from the Dust,Grime and the Elements--some safety measure it turned out to be!!I prize my "Handis" as my most precious possessions--using these with love,care and respect for these are priceless in helping me cook my "Biryanis" "Kormas" and Curries to succulent perfection.They were completely ruined and I had to dispose these off with a sad and heavy heart!!
The Kitchen had to be redone--an excercise that literally tested my patience sorely!!It was exhausting--breaking down the earlier Marble Counter,thenbreaking the old Plaster, Waterproofing and replastering the Wall before constructing the new Counter----all this is back breaking work--thanks to our basic Construction being of RCC,Cement and Bricks.Not just back breaking--it also is extremely dirty and dusty---the entire house collected a thick blanket of Dust--first from the breaking of the earlier work--then from the cutting and moulding of the new Granite surfaces done to perfect measurement on the spot in the Kitchen itself!!I have spent the entire last month sitting in my Living Room--facing the Door to keep an eye on the coming and going of the labourers!!Both the Bedroom and Bathroom doors were kept tightly shut---to keep most of the Dust out!!By the time I got my Kitchen back I'd become convinced that I was getting glued to the Sofa opposite the Front Door---it now curves nicely to give me a snug comfortable space each time I plonk myself on it!!
Though trying it is very fascinating to see your idea take concrete shape---and turning into reality before one's eyes.The make shift Kitchen was in the Balcony--a portable Gas cylinder and an Induction Cooker helped cook the Meals for the interim period---with plenty of outside Catering thrown in.The real work has begun since Monday,14th. January---getting stuff back into place is pretty exhausting---since it is necessary to soak and wash all the Utensils I own to rid these of the thick layers of Dust.We are proceeding at a snail's pace but slowly getting there.This is now a meticulously planned area--with a place for everything--thereby ensuring that everything goes into it's own original space!!It will take me about 15-20 days to get everything organised but finally it will be a delight to cook in there--everything customised to my needs!!There is a small wall mounted Fan over the Chimney--with a string to alter it's Speeds hanging to a convenient length---making it possible to cook in the humid heat of Summer.The Exhaust fan too is set in a frame with louvered Glass Windows instead of the earlier Wooden Panel--thereby letting in a lot more Light and Air than before.The magnificent unobstructed view of the Vegetable Patch next door is a Joy to glance at while cooking--and most of all everything is now within easy reach--all I need to do is get used to the new order of things!!!