40,000-49,999 SparkPoints 44,313


Tuesday, January 15, 2013

It started Friday afternoon when I mentioned to Allen my ankle was hurting. I had been diagnosed with ankle tendinitis about a year ago and it hurt for about a week. This time by Saturday I couldn't step on my food and was seriously thinking of going to the ER but decided to wait until Monday when my podiatrist would be in his office. Meanwhile I would wrap the ankle in a cold compress, stay off of it as much as I could and take non-aspirin aspirin. Sunday I was ready to SCREAM!!! For the second day in a row I didn't go outside, did the cold compresses and bit my lips a lot.

Monday morning, yes morning, I called the podiatrist. Now remember I don't have a car and in order to get a ride anywhere I have to make an appointment 24 hours in advance. The receptionist said that the doctor was booked solid but if there was a cancellation she would call me. I explained the car situation but it went right over her head, I told he I wanted to talk to the doctor as to what treatment I should follow until I saw him. She said she would get back to me.

At 4:53 PM I went for my mail and I was back by 4:55--yes, she had called and left a message in that time the receptionist, not the doctor. She said I should use cold compresses and take Aleve. I immediately called back to get a message that their office hours were to 5 PM---it was 4:56 As I am on coumadin I can not take Aleve as the results would be disastrous.

My foot was burning, tender, sore and once again I thought of going to the ER but 2 things decided me to wait until Tuesday: one was to talk to my primary doctor and two I had found a bottle of pills that I had marked 'pain killers' on. It was propoxyphen but the date of the bottle said it should be discarded after 123/07/2009. I debated whether to take one 'every 8 hours as needed' or just take one and see what happens over night, so I did.

After 3 days being trapped in the apartment when I woke Tuesday morning without any relief and it being pure torture stepping on the foot I called my primary. I spoke to Kimberly, explained the whole situation and she said she would talk to the doctor and get back to me. As it was I already was preparing to call back if I didn't hear from her by 12:15 as I know the office goes to lunch then and don't come back until 1:30 PM Another assistant called back and told me the doctor called in a prescription for something or other and I didn't catch the name.

I called Brad and asked him if he would mind going to pick it up for me and he did coming over to my place handing me a bottle of lorazepam which I already had but I took one. Something came back to me that the assistant said about having to monitor my coumadin level as the medicine would effect it but I have been taking lorazepam for 4 years and it wasn't a problem. I didn't take enough to even do anything--usually 1/2 of a milligram--the normal dose is 4-40 milligrams per adult. It was more of a psychological thing for me.

I decided to call the office back and spoke to Kimberley who got my chart and said the prescription was for naproxen. The drug store had given Brad the prescription refill I called in last week for lorezapam! As I wait here for Brad to bring the latest medicine I looked it up in the pill book and yes people taking coumadin should avoid taking naproxin unless closely monitored. Meanwhile, for the hell of it, I took 1 milligram of lorazepam and my foot started to feel better!

At 4 PM Brad came in with the naproxen and right on the label it says "Monitor the INR" which is the coumandin level. Now I am reading about all the side effects and they aren't pretty especially for someone like me who has had heart surgery and has high blood pressure. There is something ominous reading 'don't lie down for 10 minutes after taking medicine"!

Well here goes--I am taking the first pill that can cause "stomach upset, stomache bleeding, nausea, dizziness, drowsiness, unusual weight gain (that's a good excuse) vomit blood, heart attack, stroke, heart failure" and on and on and on. All I want it to do it to stop the pain and make me well enough TO WALK AND GO TO THE THEATRE TOMORROW!!!!
My mailman Mark said he had a set of crutches that he would bring over tomorrow which would help keep the pressure off the foot. I have never used crutches so that should be fun!
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    Get better soon
    1767 days ago
    What a mess.

    You do know that naproxen (sodium) is the same thing as Aleve, right?

    I hope you get some relief and resolution to this pain soon.
    1767 days ago
    good luck with the crutches-have a better day tomorrow emoticon
    1767 days ago
    My doctor told me not to read the side effects listed that come with the medication because I am a worrier and stress out about things that I don't need to worry about. I don't take anything on a regular basis so when he prescribed an
    antiexiety medication, instead of helping me sleep I was awake the whole night. So I threw it away. He prescribed prozak and I took one and tried to drive the car the next morning and wasn't with it. So I threw them away. Finally ended up just taking a Benedryl before bed and it worked like a charm.

    Good luck!
    1767 days ago
    Got to go to theatre--crutches here I come!
    1767 days ago
    I wonder if you tried cold compresses. If you really want to go, try the crutches.
    1767 days ago
  • JUNEAU2010
    I hated using crutches, but they do beat immobility!. I wish you the best!
    1767 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.