Tuesday, January 15, 2013
“Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred.”
—MARTIN LUTHER KING JR., American civil rights activist
Marge: I always get sick the night before I go on a trip.
Linda: So why don’t you leave a day earlier?
THIS DAY IN TV
Happy Days debuted on ABC on this day in 1974. One of its legacies: spin-offs.
* In a 1976 episode, Richie and Potsie double-dated some rough-around-the-edges friends of Fonzie’s named Laverne and Shirley—who were immediately transplanted into Laverne & Shirley.
* In February 1977, Happy Days introduced Nancy Blansky, Howard’s cousin who was a landlady for a group of Las Vegas showgirls. That fall, Walker starred in the spin-off Blansky’s Beauties.
* An alien named Mork appeared on a 1978 episode to launch the Mork & Mindy.
* Chachi met his guardian angel, Random, in a 1979 Happy Days episode. That same month, Out of the Blue, about Random, debuted.
* Chachi got his own spin-off in 1982, along with Richie’s younger sister Joanie: Joanie Loves Chachi.
Iceland enforces a TV-free day every Tuesday to encourage family interaction.