Attitude is Everything - Part III: Tools
Sunday, January 13, 2013
I wanted to share with you some of the tools I use to be a POSITIVE person and to combat negativity in my life. Choose what works for you and share with me anything you have found that works. I'm always looking for feedback.
1. Eliminate negative language from your vocabulary. Stop swearing, stop any sarcastic remarks and look for something POSITIVE to say. Remember the old adage: If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.
2. Take care in your tone of voice. Negativity not only comes from what we say but from our tone of voice. Eliminate a harsh "tone" from your voice. If you must criticize do it with a soft tone.
3. Remove yourself from a negative atmosphere. Simply don't participate in negative activities.
4. Correct negative behavior (this is one of my favorites). If you see someone yelling at someone else or belittling them, step in and correct the behavior. This works especially well with children. In a soft voice, be calm, be firm and stop the negativity. Don't accept negative behavior from anyone.
5. Delete bad habits one at a time. Make a list of behavior traits you want to correct. They could be anything from smoking or biting your nails to being rude or yelling at people. One of mine was interrupting people when they were talking because something popped into my head. (I'm still working on this one)
6. Use POSITIVE OR MOTIVATIONAL words and phrases when talking with people. Most people respond better, psychologically, when statements are made using positive references.
7. Praise often and do it in public. If someone is doing a good job or showing improvement let them know it. It doesn't have to be lavish, just noticable.
8. Acknowlege every person you meet. I use a 10-foot rule. I greet every person I come within 10 feet of with a warm smile and a cheerful hello. Be GENUINE. You will be amazed at what this simple act will do for your reputation.
9. Follow a greeting with SINCERE praise. "Hello, that's a good looking tie." "Nice to see you. You look very happy today."
10. Be kind to everyone you interact with every day.
11. Convert or cut them loose. This can be the hardest tool to use because it deals with people in your life. CONVERT is to help those around you change their attitudes into more positive ones. This can take a lot of time and energy on your part sometimes. Other times it just takes a kind word in private to turn someone around. If the person is someone you have to deal with every day because they are family or work related, keep at it. Eventually some of your positive attitude will rub off on them.
The other part, CUT THEM LOOSE can be even more difficult. As a positive person it is hard for us to give up on people. We want to help them. But some people you just can't help. Those are the people you want to remove from your life or at least reduce your exposure to them.
12. Be a role model. Lead by example. Be the sunshine in everyone's life. BE POSITIVE.
There are so many tools, but you get the idea. Create some of your own. Once you start using these, achievement will come much easier to you because you will have INTERNALIZED a positive you.
Until next time, JUICE to YOU!