Anyone who tells a lie has not a pure heart, and cannot make a good soup.
Ludwig van Beethoven
1. The famous cold potato soup, vichyssoise, was invented:
A. At the Ritz-Carlton in New York City
B. At the White House in Washington, D.C.
C. At La Maison Blanche in Vichy, France
D. By the chef of the Marquise de Sevigne, who spent much time at the thermal baths at Vichy, seek a cure for her ills
2. Bouillon and consomme are two different words for the same kind of clear soup.
3. What is the difference between a chowder and a bisque?
A. A chowder has potatoes
B. A chowder can only be made of seafood, but a bisque can be made from any meat or vegetable
C. A bisque is pureed
D. There is no difference: Bisque is the French word for Chowder
4. Which of the following is NOT correct:
A. Borscht is a beet soup from eastern Europe
B. Bouillabaisse is a fish soup from Marseilles, in southern France
C. Cock-a-leekie is a Scottish leek and potato soup made with chicken stock
D. Mulligatawny is an Indian chicken soup, often served with rice or noodles
E. They are all correct
5. "Wayne Gretsky is the first person on a can of Campbell's Soup. That makes sense, to put a hockey player on the can of soup. It's probably the only thing you can eat without teeth." Which comedian told this joke?
A. Jay Leno
B. Conan O'Brien
C. Jackie Mason
D. Mal Z. Lawrence
6. Can you complete this Tony Randall corny skit?
Randall: "And what would you like for dinner?"
Customer: "A bowl of chicken soup."
Randall: (Yells back to the kitchen)
Customer: "Waiter, I've changed my mind. Instead of chicken soup, I want pea soup."
Randall: [Yelling back to the kitchen]
7. Who starred in the 1989 TV show, "Chicken Soup"? (The best part of the show was when the star went up to the rooftop alone to kvetch about life!)
A. Jackie Mason ("Dis is fantastic!")
B. Rita Karin
C. Lynn Redgrave
D. All of the above
8. What are the Yiddish words for "soup"?
C. "klotz kasheh" (foolish question)
9. Which comedian said on stage, "My mother cured everything with chicken soup. We always prayed she was right; her second choice was an enema ("kane")?
A. Joey Adams
B. Don Rickles
C. Alan King
10. What is the rumored origin of the word 'chowder'?
A. French for cauldron
B. French for chowhound
C. Old English for eater
D. French for cold
Submit your answers here and check back later for really answers! I will be giving some Spark goodies as prizes!