I'm soooooo MO-TI-VAT-ED
Friday, January 11, 2013
Sing it with me! I'M SOOOOOOOOOOOO MO-TI-VAT-ED, MO-TI-VAT-ED, MO-TI-VAT-ED! I'M SOOOOOO MO-TI-VAT-ED MO-TI-VAT-ED MO-TI-VAT-ED.
Now get off your seat and on your feet and CHEER it with me! M-O-T-I-V-A-T-E-D I am so MOTIVATED! M-O-T-I-V-A-T-E-D! I am so MOTIVATED!
I know it sounds silly some times, but little things like singing aloud to yourself or moving around and giving yourself a little cheer can really help to get you in the right frame of mind to be motivated.
"Motivation is the psychological feature that arouses an organism to action toward a desired goal and elicits and sustains certain goal directed behaviors." Thanks Wikipedia. A pretty powerful statement.
"Arouses an organism to action" I like that. Ask yourself a question... What motivates me? The answers are going to be different for everyone. Personally, I am motivated by my environment. As a journalist I am a trained observer and reporter. I am motivated by the people around me, the things I read, things I hear, etc... I see someone doing something I wish I could do and I am instantly motivated.
Motivation has also been described as "a driving force." (thanks again Wikipedia) Now THAT'S powerful. I think that "driving force" is inside each one of us. We just need to learn how to tap into it. Frequently I do it by reading. I have some favorite motivating personalities who have written books that I read in rotation daily. Dr. Bob Arnot wrote a book many years ago "Guide to Turning Back the Clock." Lots of great stuff in there. I also read self-help guru Anthony Robbins' books "Unlimited, Power", "Awaken the Giant Within" and "Notes from a Friend" several times each. The last one is on my nightstand next to the bed. It's the first thing I read in the morning and the last thing I read at night. Although I have read them each at least 5 times cover-to-cover I pick up something new or apply something I've learned in a new way every time I read them.
But, I'm not here to sell books. I'm here today to give you some tips on tapping the Optimist within each of us. I think it's easier to tap the Internal Optimistic Energy in each of us when our internal chemistry is in balance. So, get rid of the junk food and start eating those fruits and vegetables. Getting your vitamins gets your blood chemistry and consequently your brain chemistry in balance. This in turn evens out your mood and allows you to tap into the Optimistic/Motivated side of the brain.
See where I'm going with this? If you don't that's okay, I'm going to lead you there now. By stimulating the resourceful parts of the brain people are motivated to do what they know they should do. But how do we tap that part of the brain?
1. Read something motivational.
2. Listen to some motivational music.
3. Think of someone who motivates you, A teacher, parent, inspirational person from history, Rocky Balboa.
4. Remember a time when you were motivated and achieved something great, then return to that state-of-mind
5. Create a motivational collage and post it somewhere you will see it several time every day (I tacked a pair of shorts with a 33-inch waist to the wall in my office).
6. Leave yourself motivational messages around the house and work (my house has Post-it notes everywhere).
7. Send yourself motivating emails (I send them at night from my personal email account to my work email account).
8. Get a workout buddy and text each other several times everyday ( I have several buddies, one for weight lifting, one for swimming, one for yoga, etc.. we text several times a day to discuss workouts we want to do).
9. Eat something good for you (I like apples. I bring two to the office everyday so I don't go to the snack machine).
10. Write down your goals with a detailed plan then post a copy in different places where you will see it throughout the day.
11. Go to the HEALTHY LIFESTYLE tab on Sparkpeople, hit the MOTIVATION tab in the drop-down menu and read about someone who is motivated.
12. Track everything on Sparkpeople. Make a game of it and try to improve a little every day.
13. Be an inspirational person. LEAD BY EXAMPLE.
14. Pass on what you have learned to others AND learn from them (I never know where a good idea is going to come from).
I could go on and on. Basically, you need to find what works for you. I use most of these everyday.
Good luck, GET WET and JUICE to you all.