Friday, January 11, 2013
Like an episode of Jerry Seinfeld, today's blog is about nothing.
1) After weeks of thought, I joined a new gym. My current gym membership expires on Valentine's day and it's going to cost me $160 for three months or $450 for a year. The membership includes towel service, but not any classes. I like the facility, but its slightly out of my way, now that I've moved. My new gym is walking distance from my home. I'm not much of a negotiator, but I took advantage of the January specials and a corporate discount. My monthly rate is $25 for access to a huge facility with lots of cardio machines, free weights, weight machines and free classes. No towel service, though--dang it.
2) It's day nine of South Beach Phase 1 and it's starting to get to me. I feel tired and somewhat cranky and resenting that I still have five freaking days left on this plan. Still, I've lasted this long, so hopefully I can make it to Tuesday without abandoning this plan in favor of a box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts.
3) My stomach is still flabby, although my goal weight is 13 pounds away. The rule of thumb for setting a goal weight is to identify a weight you maintained for over a year as a young adult. Okay, from ages 15 to 27 I weighed between 155 and 170. I weigh 168 now and want to return to 155. Trouble is, when I weighed 155 as a teen, I just KNEW my ideal weight was 140. I reached it for five minutes when I was 18 and looked fabulous. That's a BMI of 22, which sounds like a pipe dream to me. At 5'7" I think I will be happiest between 145 and 155. We will see where my weight settles in the next six months.
4) I have been working on my weight since January 2, 2012. I'm proud of myself for toughing it out for over a year. When I consider that, I feel confident that I've learned some new, healthier habits that will help me maintain my weight. During Xmas, I missed a week of exercising and felt terrible about myself. The only way to cure the guilt was to go work out. This week, I made it to the gym 3x, so I've gotten my 150 minutes in. If I workout on Saturday, I'll make my goal of working out at least 4x a week.
5) I've been so focused on the cosmetic aspects of my weight loss, I almost forgot that I'm prediabetic, which is the main reason I lost the weight to begin with. I can't lose sight of that, so on the days when I'm draggin' I need to remind myself why I'm eating clean(er) and exercising regularly.
6) When I finish South Beach phase 1, I'm going to re-introduce oatmeal to my breakfasts and find a good tortilla wrap recipe for lunch. Next weekend, I'm going to get my monthly barbecue fix--something that keeps me from feeling deprived.
7) Today I ate: eggs, turkey bacon, coffee with cream and stevia, pistachio nuts (30), 3 oz chicken breast, green beans, celery & laughing cow cheese, tilapia, collard greens, diet coke and a fudgesickle. Pretty dang good!
8) Today I did: 30 minutes of weight training on my legs, 15 minutes on the elliptical machine and 15 minutes on the recumbent bike. Yay for me!
9) I plan to weigh in tomorrow. I have no idea what to expect.
10) It's really late and I'm delirious. Time for bed.