A NEW DEFINITION OF HEALTH
Thursday, January 10, 2013
Everyone's definition of health is different. For some, it might mean free of disease. For others it might mean happiness. I need to figure out what health is for me. I always thought health was just losing weight and getting fit by exercising but it NEEDS to be so much more for me.
2012 was the roughest year I've lived through yet. Our business went through some really tough times, i became busier than I've ever been not even being able to keep up the pace and my health fell into the crapper. It's taken some time but I'm now determined to make 2013 better.
2013 didn't start out too well. Our beloved kitty Popeye died on Christmas Day and then I became sick with this horrible cold/flu that's going around...only 5 days after I finally got over a 2 month bout of bronchitis. Not exactly a good start to the year.
What all of this taught me is that I'm the only one that can control how I feel. And being healthy for me is far more than just losing weight.
I want to achieve a total state of health and for me that means:
1. getting down to a healthier weight, slowly and consistently
2. eating healthier foods such as fruits, vegetables and whole grains
3. preparing meals at home to save money from eating out at restaurants
4. having some down time each and every day even if it's only an hour--don't think about work or all of the problems of the day--just relax and detox
5. learn to meditate and do it every day if only for a few minutes--this will help me focus on what's important
6. make time for those that are important to me--take time each day to spend quality time with them even if only a short time
7. remember to make myself as important as I make everyone else in my life
For me, I've now realized that losing weight is only a small portion of being healthy. This past year I've been the most anger and miserable I've ever been in my life. This year I realized that losing weight won't make the anger and unhappiness go away. There's more to health than just weight loss and I need to focus on all those areas of my life.
I know this new attitude will help me when the scale doesn't always show the greatest loss. When I'm not losing as much as I'd like, that's when it will be time to re-evaluate well I'm doing at improving all the others areas in my life that constitute health.
So her I go on my new journey....here's to my health!