Thursday, January 10, 2013
I'm trying something new today. Usually if I write a blog here on spark, I do it in the morning, when I'm freshest and most motivated. But since I'm breaking the binging habit I've redeveloped of late, I thought perhaps that if I blogged when I was binging, it might be a good way to break the cycle. So I just finished dinner, after a day of healthy, mindful eating, and here I am blogging, not binging.
Anyway, today I had the pleasure of listening to more of Geneen Roth's When Food is Love audiobook. It was a really helpful to listen to today. She went over her eating guidelines and I was happy to get the refresher:
1. Eat when you are hungry. (Truly hungry, body hungry not mind hungry)
2. Eat sitting down in a calm environment. This does not include the car.
3.Eat without distractions. Distractions include radio, television, newspaper, books, intense or anxiety producing conversation and music.
4. Eat only what your body wants. (Big difference from what your MIND wants!)
5. Eat until you are satisfied. (This is different than full).
6. Eat (with the intention of being) in full view of others.
7. Eat with enjoyment, gusto and pleasure.
She then talked about how following these guidelines is the journey to health in itself. That if you notice when you want to break the guidelines (for example, wanting to eat in the car), and you allow yourself to be curious about why, you will get to healing yourself.
She also talked about how it takes time, attention and practice, to make these guidelines habitual, but that if you stick with them, they will become your way of life.
I know this is true. I know it because this summer, after about a month of really paying attention, they did become my way of life.
Then life threw me some major curveballs and I got lost.
So I'm happy to have so many tools at my disposal to find my way again.