Advertisement -- Learn more about ads on this site.


    LINDAKAY228   216,947
SparkPoints
100,000 or more SparkPoints
 
 
A warning about kids and metal water bottles

Thursday, January 10, 2013

I read this today from a link on facebook and thought it worth sharing. This is a story that was on TODAY news show.

todaynews.today.com/_new
s/2013/01/09/16285657-ross
en-reports-metal-water-bot
tles-can-endanger-kids


Apparently some kids stick their tongues into a metal water bottle and because the bottle isn't flexible, like plastic, it creates a suction that can actually cause the tongue to get stuck and cause severe problems resulting in medical intervention necessary to get the tongue out. The girl in the story had to have surgery to get it removed. When it gets stuck, then the tongue swells and causes even more difficulties getting it out.

I personally don't like to drink from metal because I don't like the taste, but have had a couple given to me in the past. I don't want my grandkids to use them now. It may not happen most of the time, but still it's scary to think about. Just thought I'd pass it on because who would ever think of this?

Have a great day.
SHARE
  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

1BEACHWALKER 1/13/2013 11:02PM

    Wow, that is too weird! I don't like metal bottles myself, hate the taste of water after it sits in it. Scary lesson to the kids that do it! Don't know if it was an accident or intentional...kids do the dumbest things sometimes! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
SWDESERTLOVER 1/11/2013 12:46PM

    Good information. I'll pass this on to our family. I don't like the taste of water out of metal bottles either. I love the glass ones they sell here on SP and use them at work, but they're not practical for hiking. That's when I go back to my plastic bottles.

Cindy emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
JUSTA123 1/11/2013 10:57AM

    Wow thanks for the heads up! and stay warm!

Report Inappropriate Comment
DESERTDREAMERS 1/11/2013 8:39AM

    yikes!

Report Inappropriate Comment
ROX525 1/11/2013 5:56AM

    Wow...Thank you.

Report Inappropriate Comment
JSTETSER 1/11/2013 5:51AM

    Thank you for the info!
This is my one year anniversary of sparking. Read my blog!
http://www.sparkpeople.com
/mypage_public_journal.asp?id=J
STETSER
Jackie

Report Inappropriate Comment
L1ZB3TH354 1/10/2013 11:30PM

    emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
MAYBER 1/10/2013 9:31PM

    good warning am sure there will soon be a recall of some sort
of course we should all be aware that anything can happen with so many new items coming out daily in our world today
One day at a time
emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
MOM4407 1/10/2013 9:07PM

    Thanks for the heads up.


Report Inappropriate Comment
DRB13_1 1/10/2013 5:42PM

    good warning

Report Inappropriate Comment
STRINGI719 1/10/2013 1:46PM

    The only metal one I have I don't really use, but I don't think this could happen because it has the huge open mouth opening.

Report Inappropriate Comment
LYNDALOVES2HIKE 1/10/2013 1:32PM

    Wow, I never would have thought of this - scary!

Report Inappropriate Comment
MICKEYH 1/10/2013 12:22PM

    Thanks for sharing.

Report Inappropriate Comment
KJELLYBEAN15 1/10/2013 11:11AM

    Wow! It amazes me how kids will stick things in the oddest places. I remember as a kid another child in day care stuck macaroni up his nose. It got stuck. Pretty funny thinking about it now.

Report Inappropriate Comment
TEMPEST272002 1/10/2013 11:04AM

    thanks for the info!

Report Inappropriate Comment
REGILIEH 1/10/2013 10:48AM

    emoticon for the info.

Report Inappropriate Comment
NATPLUMMER 1/10/2013 10:37AM

    Thanks for the heads up.

Report Inappropriate Comment
LILPAT3 1/10/2013 10:37AM

    Amazing!

Report Inappropriate Comment

Add Your Comment to the Blog Post


Log in to post a comment.