And we're back! Happy New Year!
So I finished up P90X with a fizzle rather than a bang. Overall good experience but there are 2 downsides for me personally:
1. It's a big time commitment every day. That being said, totally worth it but it's tough to find 1:15 a day to dedicate to the workout alone. Then you add in additional cool down time (I am a sweaty guy) and a shower and you are at 1:45 total which is tough in one sitting.
2. I missed cardio. Hard cardio. I love Insanity and Crossfit, both of which incorporate hard cardio with strength. Seems that's more my style when it's all said and done. Trevor, the other half, really enjoyed it but he has never really done weights and things like this before. If I do P90X again I think I would do a hybrid of that and Insanity to build strength and keep my cardio up.
Lesson learned for me. Also learned, as I've said over and over again, really getting a handle on my diet is gonna be key and I have an August deadline to super shape up....because....
I got engaged over the holidays.
So now we are in a whirlwind of planning and all kinds of decisions being made. At the same time I have started a new job. At the same time we are going to be trying to buy a house. At the same time Trevor is trying to get a full-time job. Lots of change, lots of stress. To that end I have taken some steps to try and ensure that I can stick to my plan.
1. I joined a small, private gym in the next building over from my gym. It's kinda old and could us a paint job but it has a shower, space for me to do INSANITY or whatever, functioning equipment and classic rock playing on the stereo. The latter is not totally ideal but it will work. I have headphones and it's not offensive, just not my favorite.
2. I am continuing with Shakeology. I am eating breakfast either at home or first thing at work (bringing oatmeal with me), workout at lunch, Shakeology as recovery / lunch. Blended a whole orange, (well, peeled orange), with the Strawberry today and it was really good. Oh and I got a little single blender like a magic bullet for work so I can blend with ice and stuff to make it a bit more palatable.
3. Riding my bike to work. Got a good jacket that is windproof but not to hot and I have ordered a new computer for my desk so I don't have to carry my laptop with me to and from. No backpack = substantially less back sweatiness = happier to ride bike to work. I will only have to bring my iPad with me in a small, non back suffocating bag. Also one of the reasons I joined the gym is I can shower there in the morning after my ride in if needed. It gets hot in The Valley/Los Angeles in the summer. Not to say I will be able to do it all the time...it gets REALLY HOT!
4. Tracking my diet at Sparkpeople. I used to do it religiously and found that it helped. I stopped because it's inconvenient but it's worth effort.
So Happy New Year everyone! Let's make it a great one! Day 2 of Insanity is done and tomorrow is another hard day!
And thank you to everyone here. Your support and kind words are always an inspiration. Sometimes they are the kick in the butt I need to get out there and do what I need to do!