Sunday, January 06, 2013
The Biggest Loser starts again tonight! And, I'm thrilled that Jillian is BACK!!! I only watched one full season - that was the last one Jillian was in - and it was when I was starting this journey with SP... and weight loss... and fitness.
Yes, I know BL has some issues, but for me it was really motivating. And, as I restart this journey to re-lose these 15 pounds I've gained back, I hope it will motivate me again.
I read a really good article on SP about BL called "6 Biggest Loser Lessons to Unlearn." YOu can read it here: http://www.sparkpeople.com/res
The 6 lessons, though the article goes into more detail, are as follows:
1. Their results are not typical. A healthy weight loss is up to 2 pounds per week.
2. They put their lives on hold. Most of us can't do that, but we are also learning to be healthy while living in the 'real world.' This is something most of the contestants are afraid of doing.
3. They are often overtraining. It is best to start slowly and "increase intensity, duration and frequency over time."
4. They rely on trainers. And, trainers can be very helpful! I've used several. But, we can do this on our own.
5. They give up their favorite foods. But, they aren't even exposed to their favorite foods. We're in the real world and do have to learn to live with these foods. We should just cut back in size and frequency.
6. They compare themselves to others. It is a game, after all! We shouldn't compare ourselves to anyone else. A very hard lesson for me to learn!