Saturday, January 05, 2013
MICA'S GOALS FOR 2013:
My goals are about what to DO, not what to achieve. I can only control what I do, not the results. Obviously I hope for great results. But my goals for 2013 are about what I can do every day, not by what date I will have lost a specific amount of weight. If I put these things into practice, I will definitely be healthier in 2013.
1. TRACK MY FOOD. This is a strategy that really works.
2. DRINK TEA. Herbal tea, decaf tea, green tea...Tea is a better choice for me than plain water. It's hot, and I have to drink it slow. It's not something I use to "wash down" a meal or snack. Teas and herbal teas contain antioxidants and other plant compounds. It's healthy and it works. This is a daily goal for 2013.... 4 cups of tea.
3. MORNING WORKOUT. This is another past strategy that I know works for me. I'm an early riser anyway. I need to have a workout planned the night before so that I know what I'm supposed to do in the morning, I need to jump into my workout clothes as soon as I get up, and then get right to the workout. If I do the morning workout, even if all my other workout plans fall apart during the day, at least I know I will have done one good workout. I tend to choose cardio over strength training, so I'll have to plan a balance of strength and stretching in every morning workout. Its not either/or.... it's some of each.
4. LUNCHTIME WALK. This has been a staple of my exercise plan for the past 12 years, and it will continue to be an integral part of my plan because it works. Obviously sometimes the weather is a problem, so I always give myself permission to skip the walk if the road is slippery underfoot, or if the shoulder is not wide enough because of snowbanks, or if it's pouring rain. But most weeks I'm able to walk at least 5 days of the week for 2+ miles.
5. EAT CLEAN. Choose to eat produce and avoid processed foods. Less meat and more veggies. Aim for at least 9 servings of veggies/fruits per day.