Wednesday, January 02, 2013
Happy New Year!
Last year was a year of steadiness. No amazing weight loss but I did maintain for the WHOLE YEAR. I ramped up strength training and took care of some health issues.
1. Maintaining. It's harder than it sounds. I learned that I can never stop paying attention to what I eat. I live in a world where crap food is the norm so I must pay attention. I can go a few days without tracking but I always end up overeating. So tracking is my best friend. Ice cream used to be my best friend but now it's tracking.
2. Strength. I has it. I read some and learned some and now I am not afraid to lift heavy. I don't care who is looking at me. I go into that gym and sweat like a champ. When I am done I feel like I could rule the world.
3. Health issues. I scheduled a surgery I had been putting off. Yes, it cost money, time, pain and sheer annoyance. But I have learned that I am worth it. I need to take better care of myself. I spent my down time learning more about nutrition.
4. Nutrition. I read "Omnivore's Dilemma," and "Animal Vegetable Miracle" and some other wonderful books and I feel like a a new woman! In a nutshell I learned to take the time to cook decent food. Buy local, grass-fed meats and dairy when possible. Locally grown fruits and veggies are wonderful for us. I strive to eat NINE fruits and vegetables a day. It's much more fun to concentrate on what I CAN eat rather than what I "can't " eat.
5. Try new things. It's amazing how limiting my life was before when I was sedentary. I automatically passed up so many opportunities because I just thought "that's not for me." No more. I even took my first flying lesson last spring! Yes, I flew an airplane!
6. Celebrate. Sure I'm not my perfect weight yet. I'm still getting older each year. My hair is grey. But I can celebrate what is good. I danced in public on New Year's Eve just from sheer joy.
So here's to a wonderful new year for all of us. I plan to try lots of new things and get even stronger. Amen!