Wednesday, January 02, 2013
Yes, this is the WELCOME TO THE NEW YEAR blog most people write. But first off, I want to say sorry for being so distant. I have officially lost my mojo. And unlike Austin Powers, I have no time machine to bring it back. I have realized just why I have lost it too.
I suffer from tunnel vision. Not literally, but figuratively. I tend to focus everything I have on one time at a time, and it's hard to do much else beside that. Before school started in the fall (yes all those months ago), I was obsessed with working out and eating healthy. It worked, and I was able to lose weight. Then school came and all my effort went to studying chemistry (the one and only class I took). And since my little stomach/ovarian cyst issue, I have been doing nothing but watching Korean and Japanese dramas. On the up side of this, I am learning the Korean language a little bit, and it is making it's way into my future goals. So, here's to getting back on the workout/healthy eating train!
As I mentioned in the title (and first paragraph), this is the part where I look back on 2012. And boy was it a doozy of a year. In March I finally went to see that specialist for my PCOS and found out I was also insulin resistant. I had to give up my vegan diet (which I still miss to this day) and start on a low carb, no soy type of diet. Needless to say it's much harder to actually eat that way than say I need to eat that way. I was also placed on Metformin, a common diabetic/PCOS drug and was able to lose 30 POUNDS!!! I started back in college, and got an A in Chemistry. And though it's not my first A in an college level class, this the first time I got an A in a class that wasn't a fluff or fly class (which is a class were you have to no go to basically not receive an A). I also was able to run for 3 minutes straight (plus a little extra), which is the longest time ever and not hurt myself (stupid knee). Thank goodness for new improved shoe materials that allowed this to happen! And of course, my dad got let go right before Thanksgiving. He is still trying to find a job, but it being the holidays is hard because all the hiring people are out on vacation. Oh and we bought/building a house!
So that was 2012. And though I don't know what's going to happen in 2013, I do have some resolutions. Which is odd in itself, because I generally don't believe in resolutions. I made them up last night, along with an brief action plan to achieve them. So, here they are as follows:
1) Lose the rest of the weight. Okay, I know this is generally a no-no, and I am not really a big fan of the scale (especially recently), but this is completely doable. 12 months to lose 15 pounds. That's a little bit more than 1 pounds a month, which is doable. Plus I might realize that being 128 (instead of 125) or even 132 is better for me when I get there, so again, totally doable. I lost 30 pounds in only a few months last year, I can lose 15 in 12 months. ACTION PLAN: To eat better and to work out more. I want to workout 5-6 days a week, with 3 being running, 5 being a 12 minute BodyRock, and Saturday being yoga. To eat better I need to cut out processed foods and sugar, and eat clean or natural foods (like produce and meat).
2) Run an 8k (5 miles). Yes I haven't even ran a 5k yet, but I am running. This week (or maybe next) I start at 4 minutes running (because my stupid running app is a little quick to jump the gun to 5 minutes). But I should be able to do a 5k if I don't have many set backs by the end of February, and an 8k is only 2 miles more, so this is doable. ACTION PLAN: Continue doing the 5k plan, then increase to the 8K plan.
3) Learn something new outside of school. I am thinking either a language (Korean or Japanese), an instrument (violin or cello), or a martial art. All require money, but the language is the less expensive option. But I would love to learn a martial art as well for safety reasons. ACTION PLAN: Save money, look at deals, and/or get a job.
4) Volunteer at the animal shelter. I have been wanting to do this for a while, but I don't like going to new places alone, or meeting new people alone. ACTION PLAN: Suck it up buttercup and do it!
5) Make some friends. I have a serious lack of real friends (aka, physical friends). A lot of my friends live far away, or are people I really don't want to associate with, but I need some human contact outside of my parents. Thus were the volunteering and possibly martial arts come into plan. ACTION PLAN: Volunteer, get a job, join a club/meetup/group, or/and do some type of non school class, like yoga or martial arts (but no money, so see job).
6) Knit more! ACTION PLAN: Start off with the knitted pillows I want to do, then just knit more....
SOOOO.... those are my resolutions. Hopefully I will be able to do a few of them, and hopefully I will not go crazy.
The house is nearly complete, the move in date/closing is on January 10, so Mom and I have started packing some of the nicer things. Dad is still looking for a job, but has an interview on the 9th. I was planning to workout but seeing the how it feels like 25 degree F outside, it's not going to happen. I will start working out hopefully tomorrow, or next week, but I will start soon. I just wish I had my mojo back.
Have a great one and sorry for the long blog. Keep up the Spark!
PS. I got a BOSU ball for Christmas, but I still haven't taken it out of the package because of the move. Can't wait for the new place!