In looking at my Dream List, I notice that most of my dreams are geared toward three of my senses; feeling, seeing, and hearing. I'm not concerned about taste or smell, because I actually do enjoy the flavor and scent of healthful foods like vegetable, fish, and whole grains. If I make sure to set my top five goals so that I appease the first three senses, I would have to choose the following as my top five achievement goals:
1. I will lose body fat and weight.
2. I will improve my fitness by working out wisely and regularly.
3. I will get stronger by lifting wisely and regularly.
4. I will accurately follow the suggested nutrition and fitness plans with at least an 85% success level.
5. I will consistently document and reflect upon all data of my actions, feelings, and choices related to my 12-week challenge.
REASONS FOR CHOOSING THESE GOALS
1. I am doing this 12-week challenge because I want to be healthy, feel good, and have more energy and confidence.
2. I want to be a powerful cyclist on RAGBRAI; the Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa. This summer will be my 15th consecutive bicycle ride across the state, and I want to improve my fitness level so that the ride will be comfortable and easy to do. Plus, I want to look nice in the spandex shorts. ; )
3. I want to be a positive fitness role model for my family, friends, students and colleagues. Most of my family is overweight. Several of my friends, students, and colleagues are too. I know how motivational it is for me to see my colleagues achieving weight and fitness successes, and now I want to pass that motivation on to others.
HOW AM I GOING TO ACHIEVE THESE GOALS
1. I like sugary snacks A LOT. I have to work through cravings for sugar by choosing protein foods and other more healthful substitutions like fat free yogurt or cottage cheese, protein- and carb-balanced snack bars; postponing the sweet snacks until cheat day, or simply walking away with positive thoughts in mind.
2. I have no workout habits established. I need to start moving. I love cycling and walking, and I used to thoroughly enjoy jogging and lifting. I will reintroduce these activities to my daily lifestyle.
3. For the last five to six years, eating out has been the main source of entertainment for my husband and me. Now we will start planning and eating meals at home. We will choose nutritious foods and get active together.
phew! Looks like I have the ALLLLLLLL figured out. haha. Sure, okay. I guess it really is just that simple. Set goals, prepare for challenges, and stick to the plan. Goals and prep work are done, so I guess all I have to do is stick to the plan.