Wow! The year is OVER! I can't believe it
I didn't really reach my goals for 2012-any of them. However, I did keep trying all year. I didn't give up or quit, even though I stumbled. I think a more modest approach for 2013 is in order, especially since I need to develop my patience anyway. Compassion for myself-at least as much as I have for others-is also in order. I was inspired by The Slowest Loser's blog about how he stopped the Mayan Apocalypse and decided to set my own slow weight loss goal for this new year.
Goals for 2013
1) Lose 26# As of what I weight 1/1/13. That's 0.5#/week. I'm working on my consistency! Its also to remind myself that I am more than a number on a scale and focus on getting healthy. My specific steps to accomplish this include 30 minutes of cardio 4 days/week, Coach Nicole's ST videos of each major muscle group 2 times/week, walk 10K steps/day, and stay within my calorie range 5 days/week.
2) Prepare 2 recipes from my vast untried collection/week: I want to eat less processed foods and cook more myself. I have several cookbooks I haven't tried as well as an electronic database of email and SparkRecipes. I will prepare 1 from my SparkPeople Cookbook, starting with the staple recipe list, and one from my other collections. I also intend to have treats I've made on hand (chocolate, especially!) so I can control the nutritional value more. I'm also thinking that if I have them all the time, I will not feel the need to overindulge. Something about knowing they'll be there tomorrow, I feel like that might work. Plus, its cheaper cooking at home!
3) Complete the first three baby steps of Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover. I'm trying to get my finances in order after a year of underemployment and legal expenses. I'm designating 10% of each check to each step in order until completed. I can do it!
4) Read all of my books at least once! I have so many books I haven't read, including the free ones that came loaded on my ebook reader. I'm going to read one chapter a day from these until I finally read them all!
5) Reach SparkPeople Level 17: earn 2K SparkPoints every month by completing the daily SparkPoint Challenges and possibly buying The Spark
6) Begin working to complete Associate's Degree via free online courses: some kind of grant to help people earn their degree. Several colleges are offering free online courses to help you earn your Associate's degree. I already have 31 credits, its time to finish up! I have found a list of the colleges, now I just need to pick and program and get it all set up so I can begin as soon as possible when I return from helping my friend move to Austin at the end of March.
7) organize house & rummage sale suprlus by the end of Summer: My place is cluttered and in general disaray. I'd like to catch up on all my housework and organize everything. Additionally, I need to get ride of all the stuff I don't use & get as much money as I can from it. I have already created a detailed list of cleaning assigned to each day, so I just need to stick to it!
8) Learn more about investing: I have a dream to live off my investments one day, but I need to learn more about it! This year I will read at least three books about it, one of which will be Total Money Makeover. I also intend to take advantage of my credit unions free meeting with a financial adviser.
9) This one concerns my religious beliefs and being more religiously observant. I believe religion stays in the home, so I will not elaborate here.
I have a plan & I will stick with it! Its not as aggressive, so I feel more like its practical. I plan to update my blog frequently with progress!