Saturday, December 29, 2012
It has been years since I last really used the sewing machine. Mine old one was spoiled by my ex and I left it behind.
Then I bought a used one from a family that was leaving Kenya. Unfortunately it wasn't working (had not tried it out, since I trusted the family). I just couldn't get the tension adjusted. Then I couldn't find a place to have the machine serviced. So ti just sat there for a few years. Then one day I decided to go again to the haberdashery in a near-by mall. They sell one brand of machines, and had at one point told me they only service that brand. But now the Lady told me that they service all machines.
So I took mine and after service it worked well. Problem was cobwebs tangled up in the system... LOL
Anyway after doiong some repair work to get myself used to this machine (after all it is new to me...), I took the plunge and bought 2 kinds of material to make some trousers for myself.
One material was long enough to make a long trouser and a short for myself, those 2 are ready! Only need to sew the buttons on. I used an old trouser I loved, but it wore out as pattern.
For the other (a nice linen material) I am using a pattern from a magazine. I have already cut the material, but since it is a bit see-through I need to get some lining as well.
It is exciting to see I haven;t lost the skills, Zips and other things I was struglling with before are still a struggle, but overall I am proud of what I did.
1/1/2013 update: hers of are picture of my first attempt. I used an old trouser as a sample forgetting that that material was more stretchy than what I bought..... Now it is a bit tight, but I can close it....... Hmmmm, maybe my new skinny "jeans" - When I get below that crazy 80kg barrier it should be ok.