2012 has been a really big year in terms of fitness for me. I ran my first half marathon and my first marathon. In fact I ended up running 4 half marathons. The first three becoming gradually faster and the fourth was more of a fun run and only a minute slower than the last. I'm very excited about that. I also ran a 52 min 10k. My first marathon exceeded goals as well with a 4 hour 27 min time.
In addition to the races I've also become much stronger and increased lean muscle. I only started measuring my body fat % in august or september and it has gone from 33% to 29.9%. In pump class I used to struggle a bit with a 5kg bar, now I can do all the exercises with a 10kg bar and most of them fairly easily. I've lost inches although I haven't looked at exactly how many.
What I haven't done is lost weight. In fact I think I'm a little higher right now than I was this time last year, 77.3kg today and 76.7kg last year. Considering the progress in other areas I'm not upset about that. I'm probably not happy but I'm not upset either.
So what were my goals last year:
1) Reach my goal weight. I have just under 15kg to go so I think this should be very reasonable to do within the year, preferably by May or at the least July. - Fail on this one but I did learn for me it is hard to lose weight when doing endurance training!
2) I will run 3 half marathons, Sydney's city to surf and a marathon by the end of the year
3) I want to see definition in my abs
not a lot but I'm starting to see some obliques
4) Learn how to enjoy a healthy diet that will help me lose and maintain a healthy weight
I have definitely cleaned up my diet in the last year. I've found really tasty lunches and lots of new recipes to try. I happily eat lots of veggies and fruits. I can absolutely maintain a healthy weight, now I need to go back to losing
5) Keep working towards financial security and financial trust in my marriage
we're much more financially secure and the new system we have for managing money means very few arguements about money which is a much more relaxing way to live! I'm also really happy that my husband has decided to join me in getting healthy. It means we are able to do a lot more together. I'm really proud of him for quitting smoking, decreasing his drinking and starting running.
I hope I can do as good a job meeting my goals in 2013!
1) Run a half marathon in less than 2 hours
2) Run my second marathon hopefully in less than 4:20
3) Run my first 50k trail race
4) Do a 100k oxfam hike
5) Run the Coastal Classic in the Royal National Park
6) Do my first warrior dash and maybe a tough mudder or spartan race
7) Decrease my body fat percentage to less than 25%
8) Continue seeing more muscle definition in my back and abs
9) Fit a US size 8 and an Australian size 10
10) Get under 70kg
To do this I will keep up my training plans and continue eating a healthy diet. I also need to reduce my calorie intake further. I'm hoping getting a fitbit for xmas is going to help give me a better idea of my calorie output and also give me some more motivation to get incidental exercise. I'll probably get more specific on goals on a monthly basis.
So what are your goals for the next year?