100,000-149,999 SparkPoints 139,555

Adventures in Daycare

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Well, I didn't think I would have anything worth blogging about today. I guess one never knows. I did have to work today, which is unusual since I work very part time. Today I was watching kids whose parents were at a school music programme.

Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal at all. There weren't all that many kids, and some of them I know quite well, because I have babysat for them many times. But it was just one of those days.

One little girl, who is never any trouble at all, had evidently been drinking a bit too much. Drinking water, juice, or milk, mind you. At all events, she peed a LOT. She not only filled her pull-up, she overflowed it. There was urine down her pants, soaking her socks and shoes, and there was a huge puddle on the floor. In all the years I have been babysitting, this is the first time I have had a puddle of pee on the floor.

What was worse was that I was just in a fifth-grade classroom - no sink, no toilet, not even any hand sanitizer. Luckily there were Clorox wipes, plus of course a clean pull-up and baby wipes. We wiped down the floor with paper towels and Chlorox wipes, I changed her pull-up, and pants, and crisis number one was over. Though we had no place to put the resulting trash...

Next, her little brother, who is not used to being away from his mom, decided it was time to start some serious crying. My son, who was helping me, is totally grossed out by snot and drool, and this little guy was producing copious quantities of both. I took him, did what I could to console him, and started using equally copious quantities of Kleenex to wipe up the snot and drool.

Meanwhile, a mom dropped off her little boy, who was really no trouble compared to the others, but who was fast - amazingly fast - and who was into absolutely everything, so he required a lot of watching. I got pretty miffed when his mom, after leaving him for over half an hour (of a one-hour concert), took him out without bothering to pay us. Sadly, not so very unusual. The rates were clearly listed, everyone knew what the cost was supposed to be - but my son and I were too busy to go chasing after her to try to force her to pay. I'll admit it makes me not all that willing to do it the next time I'm asked.

Then, while the unhappy little guy was still crying and producing bodily fluids, another (very sweet) little guy created, shall I say, a rather bad smell in his diaper. I don't mind changing diapers, but it is kind of hard to do while holding and cuddling another child. And did I mention that the same son who dislikes drool isn't all that fond of poop, either? But he decided that, of the two, he'd rather deal with the drool, so I got the diaper and he got the unhappy baby.

By the time the concert was over - and the whole thing was just under an hour! - I was wilting. My son and I cleaned up, the janitor was informed that new trash can liners were needed in the fifth-grade classroom, and we headed home. I'm not sure I've ever had one hour with that many crises before. And I got paid...$12. Definitely not sure if it's worth the trouble.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    As much as I love babies and little ones, I do NOT miss the diapers, pull-ups or potty training days! Chasing after the little ones IS a great job to help keep you in shape though. I miss my baby carrying biceps. If the gal who didn't pay comes back tell her you cannot allow her to leave her child with you again until she pays for last time's services. Business is business. Wages paid for services rendered. Fair and square. Good luck!
    1762 days ago
    Wowzers! Despite all of that, you seemed to keep a great attitude! emoticon
    I wish you body fluid free dreams.
    1762 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.