Saturday, December 15, 2012
Woke today needing a lot of support, and am so grateful to have gotten it from my dear spark friends and my amazing aunt.
Here is a mantra my spark buddy generously created for me:
I want to feel strong and positive and in control and these nuts are only going to add more anxiety to my life. I CAN overcome this temptation and find a healthier outlet for my stress. My family is worth it and so am I!
She is just amazing. I want to write this everywhere so that I can remember it in my biggest trigger situations.
I also just found these notes I took while listening to a Rick Hanson podcast:
To enhance the positive:
1. Actively look for good news, the little stuff of daily life, turn positive facts into positive experiences, a memory from a positive vacation. Bring a mindful awareness to them and let them affect you.
2. Savor the experience. Make it last by staying with it for 20 seconds. The longer you hold it in awareness. This strengthens it in your memory. Focus on your emotions and body sensations. Let the feelings become part of your body. Pay attention to the rewarding experience. Internalize the rewards to carry them inside of you. Enrich experiences by adding positive feelings to the experience.
3. Imagine/feel that the experience is sinking deeply into your body. Relax your body and absorb the emotions of the experience.
OK, here is my success journal (this feels like a stretch given the abuse I've been putting my body through...but here goes...)
1. I worked out yesterday and will do a 6 mile run in a few hours.
2. I prepared a lot of healthy veggies and other healthy foods to have on hand for the week.
3. I'm here on Spark and I came clean about the binging so that I could get the support I needed.
4. I will be doing a lot of walking today around my neighborhood.
5. I'm searching for healthier ways to handle the pain and stress my husband's illness is causing (journaling, allowing space to grieve, etc.).