100,000-149,999 SparkPoints 118,409

Surf-N-Santa 10 Miler

Monday, December 10, 2012

Sis and I visited the expo to pick up my race number on Friday, and we ran into a jolly ole fellow.

Lots of silly photo ops at the expo.

I got two new hats at the expo, yeah, I have a thing for running hats these days.

Race day was Saturday. It was raining, uggghhh. I woke up with a headache, I seriously considered just staying in bed, I can’t function with a headache, but I knew I would kick myself in the butt if I didn’t go, I asked the DH to take my pic before I left. I love themed races but I have never been to a Christmas one before.

I had to get there early in order to get a parking spot, I took some Tylenol and had a banana hoping I would feel better. I went inside to see how everyone else was dressed, I really wanted to just sit in the car and die with my headache, but I had to get it together. Look who I ran into, my fav Elf Buddy, only he wasn't so cheery. Standing in line for the restroom for 20-25 minutes can make one an angry elf, lol...

Headache went away, just in time to start, thank goodness. I was so nervous racing by myself, I didn’t think being there alone would bother me but it did, lol, my DH had to work. And I felt like such a nerd taking my own picture at the starting line.

Off I ran, it was unusually warm and I was overdressed with my new thermal running pants on, I should have wore shorts, but dang…it is supposed to be winter time. Perfect 54 degrees, but a little humid from the rain. 5,500 participants.

I seriously wanted to quit after mile 3, the 5K runners were being directed towards the finish line and I really just wanted to finish with them and be done, but I just couldn’t quit. I turned the corner at the mile 3 mark to find my friend Billy and his daughter, standing by the water stop yelling “go Lisa”, what a nice surprise. My DH had told him the night before that he had to work and that he wouldn’t be there for me, so Billy volunteered to be a cheerleader, that was the sweetest thing ever, and that gave me the oomph I needed to keep going. After that it was smooth sailing.

Kinda lonely running on my own, but I kept my pace and did my own thing. I missed my running buddies. Rounded the corner about .2 miles from the finish and there was Billy again, this time with his camera, what a sweetie. I finished in 1:57:49, I had set a two hour limit on myself, so I was happy to have made that goal.

The after party really stunk, gave us come icky soup, tasted like flavored water, that was a huge letdown since my tummy was really hungry, so I didn't hang around, went home for some food and a hot shower.

Thanks to all my friends for sending me supporting texts to cheer me on and posting your support on FB, it means alot.

Great race, can't wait to do it again next year. Lots of looonnng training runs to keep me occupied until my next race on New Years Day.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post