Wednesday, December 05, 2012
When it comes to most things in life, it's true that small things add up along the way and eventually lead to big things. I'm all about the small changes! I love how you don't really even notice some healthy choices you're making (for example, when I'm cooking) and yet they all add up and make me a healthier person!
Every day we are faced with options. We can choose how our days turn out and whether we feel good or bad about them when they're over. The healthy choices I made today include:
- I went to Subway and skipped the dressing and chose the whole wheat bread instead of white bread
- I walked around for 6.5 miles (to classes and back and around town doing some Christmas shopping)
- tracked what I ate and planned my meals so that I would stay within my calorie range and meet my nutritional goals (which I did!)
- had a SMALL dessert after dinner but chose not to have a second serving (something I normally would have done) because I knew I would then go over my calories for the day
- when cooking dinner, I used whole wheat spaghetti and ate a much smaller serving I normally would have
Those are just a few examples, I'm sure there's more! The thing is, even when I was struggling and had a hard time not going back to my old ways, I still held on to most of my new healthy habits, such as regular exercise, healthy breakfasts, regular meals and drinking my water. And I managed to not gain more than a couple of pounds even when I had no motivation. Before, I would have decided that the "diet" was over and go back to mindless eating and no exercise. At least I fought for my Spark! That makes me confident that this is a real lifestyle change, not a diet.