This is my monthly progress/goals report; I'll post about my travels to Guatemala in a couple of days (just got back last night and haven't even downloaded the photos yet). Overall November was a good month and I did pretty well on the action steps of my goals. I lost a little weight but I did not achieve my weight loss goal.
I lost 2 pounds, which is half of my goal weight loss (4 pounds).
I feel that I set the goal to be VERY achievable at 1 pound per week. December goal will be the same Ė 4 pounds. Bottom line is I am not satisfied with my current weight, and I need to make steady and regular progress toward achieving my goal.
I kept regular and routine exercise, including on vacation and on travel days. I did not necessarily go to the gym at least 2 times per week through November 18 (when I left for 2 week vacation); but I DID increase exercise and strength training.
I logged all my food until my vacation date (and I met my minimum of 5 fruits and veggies).
Although I had planned to log food through my IPhone app while traveling, I was not able to use it. However, I stuck to my eating plan at least 95% for the entire month, including on vacation.
I broke the afternoon snack habit! I replaced it with a beverage break (iced tea, coffee, or other beverage of 25 calories or less).
I limited alcohol to no more than 2 drinks per week maximum. I ate too much at Thanksgiving but other than that I did very well at controlling overeating. I did VERY well with eating in Guatemala and did not overeat while traveling. Luckily the restaurant portion sizes there are VERY reasonable and are not huge servings like at the restaurants here!
Finally my sleep situation has improved dramatically.
Well, why not, I've been on a long overdue vacation! But I did achieve my goals of reducing reliance on sleep medication (to sleep at night) and energy beverages (to wake up in the morning or for afternoon sleepiness) during my weeks at work also. I have not needed any medication to help sleep for the last 2 weeks; I have been sleeping very well indeed. I stopped the energy beverages that I needed when I was short on sleep. In November, I cut down use of both pills and energy beverages during first week by 50%; then used no more than 2x for week for next week; and I havenít used them since.
Goals for December are:
1. Loss 4 pounds by January 1.
2. Keep regular and routine exercise. Increase exercise intensity by cross county skiing weekly.
3. Go to the gym at least 2x per week through December 22 (I leave for the holidays then and am not sure if I will have access to a gym)
4. Control overeating; log all food intake in my journal or on SP logger.
5. Continue with no afternoon snack habit and no energy beverages
6. Limit alcohol. 2 drinks per week maximum; 1 drink per week preferred.
7. Moderation at Christmas and when traveling. (This should be easier on Christmas than at Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving was moved from my momís retirement center to my sisterís due to quarantine imposed at my momís retirement center (2 health care workers and several residents had Noro virus); the facility closure was very disappointing for Mom who canít travel. It is easier to control overeating at the dining hall than at my sisterís home! The dining hall serves moderate portions and doesnít offer seconds).
8. Continue to work on improved sleep
9. Use sleep medication only when necessary (goal no more than 1x per week). Do not use energy beverages even sugar free ones.