Saturday, December 01, 2012
Blogging is a pretty new experience for me, and the practice has taught me a few lessons about myself. One thing I've realized over the past few weeks is that meal planning brings me joy. It is a way I can express love to myself, and to my daughter. When I execute those plans, it feels like even more love.
Today is Saturday, the day I pick up my winter share CSA box. This week, I made sure to go straight to the farmer's market after leaving the farm with my box. So, as a special treat, I now get to engage in even more planning love. I could get used to this. That's the point of SP, right?
Here's what I plan to do for nutritious meals based on what I brought home from the farm and the farmer's market this week:
* Mesclun greens. You may remember I was given far more than I could eat two weeks ago, and eventually they went bad (hello compost). While they were still edible, I loved having a fresh salad once or twice a day. Starting today, I'll salad my way through this week's bag.
* Kohlrabi. Purchased to go with the salad. I'll mix some navy beans with a dijon vinaigrette for a healthful and filling lunch.
* Kale. Sautéed with onion for breakfast, then scrambled with eggs. Serve with corn tortilla or sprouted grain English muffin. (See my former blog on the enormous post-workout breakfast.)
* White potatoes. A few will get baked and topped with black beans and salsa.
* Celeriac, onions, carrots. Together with the potatoes, I'll make an SP-inspired turkey hash. We'll probably top it with poached eggs for a fun "breakfast for dinner."
* Butternut squash. Last week, we made an amazing butternut squash risotto from an SP recipe. My daughter wants it again, and soon! This time I'll add thinly cut greens from the tops of the kohlrabi.
* Fresh fish. I'll pan sauté the John Dory this week, and freeze the cod for another week.
* Bosc pears. I'll bake these with some soaked raisins for a yummy after-dinner treat.
That pretty much does it for this week's planning. My daughter has noticed that we are eating so much better lately, and that I am truly enjoying the process of cooking. Now, if only somebody would come and do the dishes for me.
Is there a goodie for that?
Wishing you all a week of healthful and peaceful eating.