How N.E.A.T. are you?
Friday, November 30, 2012
''NEAT" stands for Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis and refers to the activities we do outside of our daily exercise workout.
Today in my SparkCoach session Coach Nicole discusses NEAT.
She relates this fact:
"Some obesity researchers believe that how much excess weight a person carries is directly related to how much the person moves in general--how much ''NEAT'' they accumulate each day. If you work out for even an hour a day, you could be completely sedentary for the other 23 hours"
I am guilty of this more than I'd like to admit.
But, I already do a couple things to keep from being sedentary.
1. park as far away from stores and even my health club. (my kids absolutely hate this; they try and park as close as possible!)
2. try to take the stairs when I have to go to the Dr. office.
My goals are:
1. to try and stand more while I'm at my laptop. I spend a lot of time in front of that screen, a perfect opportunity to stand or even do occasionally squats.
2. I purchased a used bosu on ebay (will arrive next week) and I plan to put it in front of the TV and work on all kinds of balance moves while watching my favorite shows.
3. try and get my family and friends to do more active things. Instead of going out to dinner or see a movie I want to go bowling and take walks.
Would love to hear from everyone how they stay active in their lives; outside of the traditional workout.
How do you deal with your NEAT ?