Thanksgiving has come, and gone. Ditto Cyber Monday, Non-Profit Tuesday, etc. What remains are items such as the fiscal cliff, the seeming fall of the once-mighty Pittsburgh Steelers (yay!), the appearance in the night sky of the giant red star Aldebaran (a celestial body in need of Spark People, if there ever was one!).
So, need an excuse as to why this week was aberrational? The scale would suggest that I do. That said, do better than me and post your success below. Don't know what I'm even blogging about? Late to the party? It's not too late. Read:
Newbies, the basic rules are this:
1. Weigh in every six days. The goal is to be one pound less, each time you weigh in. If your progress is insufficient, the Grinch, as judge, jury and executioner, boots you from the game.
3. Thanksgiving came. And went. And so will the Company Holiday Party, Goodies Arriving at the Office, Chanukah, the Winter Solstice, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Kwanzaa and New Year’s Day. Each of these present their own food and drink temptations. Give in if you must, or don’t. In either case, every sixth day, come hell or high water, up on the scale you go, no crying or fibbing. Lose one measly pound, each time.
4. The money tree is in full bloom in my backyard. I water it regularly with the revenues from the ads on the periphery of YOUR Spark web pages - I NEVER see any because of filters and blockers, thank you very much. Anyway, large cash prizes are available to whomever, like me, WILL lose eight pounds between now and January 1, 2013. Never you mind or worry about where the cash comes from. My laser printer is working quite well, and you should see this cool green paper with the little fibers built in. I even have a paper-cutter, to make perfectly shaped Benjamins. Franklin would be impressed. As would the US Marshals...
5. All you need to be is brutally honest below, by posting your success or lack thereof in a comment – every six days post how you are doing and why. If you post in your own status or blog instead (its better, here) - preface the status or blog with “8 LBS” – so we all will know that you’re playing.
6. No teams to join, or special requirements, other than outlined below.
E-I-G-H-T. Five letters. Five simple steps:
E – Eat in Great Moderation – Use the Sparky tracker or otherwise be super-careful, as holiday foods are super-caloric. If it looks, smells, tastes or feels deadly, it is.
I – Indulge in Damn Little – Little tastes only, of the holiday goodies, if that. Abstinence is the key, here.
G – Greet the challenge of this effort in positive light. Think not about the deprivation of the missed eating and drinking opportunities, but how much happier you will be come January 1st.
H – Hoist eight glasses of water a day. Wait, do you know what? Make it ten. You better.
T – Tell the rest of us how you are doing, with regular status updates, blogs, or comments below.
Last person standing wins the ersatz cash and the perpetual envy of their Spark friends. In the event of more than one, cash prizes will be pro-rated amongst those who remain, based on relative weight lost. One other simple rule: brutal, cold-light-of-day, unflinching, honor-system honesty.
Alright, that’s it. Simple, huh? Post away!