Saturday, November 24, 2012
I was in the middle of a cleaning frenzy when I decided to take a break and feed the energy furnace. I took out one of my gluten-free pizza crusts, thawed it, dressed it with "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray, some Italian seasoning and some garlic powder and went to warm up the oven so I could pop it in.
Oddly, the oven clock was off, so I opened the oven door when the clock popped back on. Not thinking much of it, I programmed the oven to heat up, slid my pizza crust on to the vented pizza pan, popped it in the oven and quickly shut the door. The minute I shut the door, the clock went black again. Since the oven was heated, I figured it was an anomaly and let my pizza crust cook for a few minutes. When I turned to check the progress of my snack, the top of the stove started to smoke and spark! I freaked a bit and ran to the breaker box to turn off the power to the stove.
By that time, it was too late. The kitchen was ripe with the stench of fried wiring and filled with whisps of blue smoke. I quickly pulled the stove away from the wall and unplugged it and then switched on the wall-mounted exhaust fan to high. I made sure there was no residual fire in the oven itself and that the metal was cool to the touch.
After sitting down to regroup for a few minutes, I remembered my snack (which was heated through and unaffected by the goings on with the upper half of the stove/oven). I pullled it out, cut it into quarters (1/2 crust = 1 serving) and bagged it for later as I was no longer interested in eating...
That made a pretty effective appetite supressant...Sounds like I will be taking a trip to the Habitat for Humanity store next week to see if I can replace the stove and provide some much needed support to a very worthy program...