Yesterday, Thanksgiving Day, I stepped on the scale to see that I'd reached my goal: 50 pounds lost! So, I've been thinking about what I've "gained" by losing the weight. Cliche, I know. But I've definitely learned a lot about myself in the past 5 months. Here's what I've gained by losing 50 pounds:
1) The ability to touch my toes. And let me say, my new flexibility is great for my marriage!
2) A new ability to cook. I always liked to cook, but now I know I'm good at it!
3) Stamina. No more panting and struggling to do things.
4) A love of physical activity. Every day, I do something active, even if I can't exercise formally.
5) A stronger relationship with my husband. Currently, he has lost 25 lbs, just by eating my healthy food and making better choices for himself. We have grown closer in many ways by living a new lifestyle together.
6) Confidence! I loved myself 50 lbs ago, but I'm proud of how hard I've worked for my new body! I've lost 3 pants sizes, 8 inches around my waist, and my skin is better, too.
7) A normal blood pressure and lower resting heart rate.
Finally, I think what I've gained most importantly is the knowledge that I CAN DO IT! I have NOT felt deprived, I have NOT given up my favorite foods, and I HAVE enjoyed my new life! I do NOT have to be miserable to lose weight! With my catalog of new, healthy recipes, my library of workout videos, and the support of my family, friends, and SparkPeople, I am prepared to live this way for the rest of my life. Losing another 80 lbs will put me in a healthy weight range, so that is my goal. But I don't look at that as a "long way" to go; the time will pass either way. I am looking forward to starting 2013 with a new attitude and a new perspective on life, and ending it with a whole new body to show for it.
Now, my goal is another 10 lbs by Christmas! Wish me luck!
All the best,