Egg Drop Soup - Delicious and Low Calorie!! (High Sodium Though!)
Friday, November 23, 2012
I MUST share this recipe. I had it today with my protein shake after my strength training workout. The protein shake has a lot of calories, so I can't really drink that AND eat a full lunch on a calorie restricted diet. This recipe made soup that tasted like it came straight from the Chinese restaurant. It's so easy to make, I'll never buy it again!!
4.5 cups chicken broth (divided - set .5 cup aside)
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/4 cup minced onion (minced very small)
2-3 tbsp chives (I used dried)
1/8 tsp salt
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 egg yolk
1. Put .5 cp of chicken broth aside. Pour the rest of the broth in a large saucepan (3 qt is good). Stir in salt, ginger, onion, and chives. Bring to a boil.
2. In a small bowl, mix the .5 cup chicken broth with the cornstarch until smooth. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and egg yolk together using a fork. Set aside.
4. Add cornstarch mixture to boiling broth, stirring constantly until it is at a boil again. The soup will begin to thicken. After it begins to thicken, remove the saucepan from the burner.
5. Using a wooden spoon, stir the broth mixture and slowly pour in the eggs. Eggs will cook instantly.
Makes 4 servings, however, I eat it as two servings.
When divided into 4 servings:
4 grams fat
166 grams cholesterol
1000 grams sodium
4 grams protein
7 grams carbs