10 Principles for Simplicity
Friday, November 23, 2012
Developed by Richard Foster in his book Celebration Of Discipline: The Path to Spiritual Growth, this list is purposely shared with you on Black Friday!
1. Buy things for their usefulness rather than their status.
2. Reject anything that is producing an addiction in you.
3. Develop a habit of giving things away.
4. Refuse to be propagandized by the custodians of modern gadgetry.
5. Learn to enjoy things without owning them.
6. Develop a deeper appreciation for the creation.
7. Look with all skepticism at all "buy now, pay later" schemes.
8. Obey Jesus' instructions about plain, honest speech.
9. Reject anything that breeds the oppression of others.
10. Shun anything that distracts you from seeking first the kingdom of God.
And may I also add, be content with what you have.
How does overspending, aggressive shopping, or debt affect your health?
Take a quiet moment to ponder this, and reflect below if you wish by sharing your thoughts with others in the comment section.