Advertisement -- Learn more about ads on this site.


    HOUNDLOVER1   16,800
SparkPoints
15,000-19,999 SparkPoints
 
 
Xylitol 10 times more toxic to dogs than chocolate

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

As I was researching Xylitol as a sweetener today I found out that it is much more toxic than I thought. It spikes blood sugar in dogs (but not people) and leads to very severe hypolycemia and liver damage in very small dosis and will kill dogs in only slightly smaller dosis.
Treatment must be very quickly to save the dog's life.
Here is a short article with more info:
www.diabetesdaily.com/vo
ices/2006/05/xylitol-sugar-s/


This is making me rethink using Xylitol as a sweetener. In spite of safety precautions accidents can happen. It would not be worth it.
I am also finding out that Xylitol in the form that we buy it may not be a very natural sweetener at all. Stevia, even though not as tasty, may be a healthier choice.
SHARE
  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

SAFETYSUE 11/17/2012 7:43AM

    Wow, I never would have thought this would be an issue, gum was s shocker too! Thanks for sharing!
emoticon emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
NDTEACHER1 11/15/2012 10:50PM

    Wow! Thank you..

Report Inappropriate Comment
ERIN1957 11/15/2012 5:25AM

    Thank you so much!!

Report Inappropriate Comment
WOUBBIE 11/14/2012 1:17PM

    Wow, I never would have suspected it was that dangerous for the poor dears!

I don't worry about eating small quantities of sugar (my daily peanut M&M fix and an occasional squirt of ketchup or somesuch), and I very occasionally bake with Splenda/sucralose, but if I decide to have some sweetener in my tea I use stevia.

A word about stevia - read the label. If it's JUST stevia the ingredient list will show either stevia or rebiana. Truvia brand, on the other hand, has erythritol as well as "natural flavors".

Report Inappropriate Comment
LOSER05 11/14/2012 9:14AM

    thats why I tell the kids throw the gum in the toilet...its in there too

Report Inappropriate Comment
KALIOPPE 11/14/2012 7:35AM

    Thank you for this. I wonder if the same thing applies to cats? I may have to rethink the Xylitol. emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
HEALTHY4ME 11/14/2012 6:57AM

    My nephew took his dog in the car and didn't know this and left gum out, Came back 15 mins later to a nearly dead dog. He is a beagle mix but taller and not a small dog, 1,500 in vet bills as they had to take him to the emerg vet, then stay overnight at reg vet, etc. super sick dog.

I use reg sugar when I use anything, I may try stevia but won't try any of the others and wont even buy gum anymore as they are allmost all sugar free. YUK to those chemicals.



Report Inappropriate Comment
GLC2009 11/14/2012 3:13AM

    i don't know where you find the time to research all the things you research. emoticon for taking the time to do the research and then share all these findings with us. i won't read this as i have never tried xilitol, but, i watched the one earlier today on statins and then the same guy talking about diabetes. i've just gone over my dh's medication history and found a couple things his dr. has given him that shock me. fortunately they are not things he takes anymore.

Report Inappropriate Comment
DIET_FRIEND 11/13/2012 10:08PM

    I haven't jumped on the stevia bandwagon yet. I have learned to like some things unsweetened that I previously used artificial sweetening agents in. I was a big fan of Splenda in coffee and tea. Now I can drink them both plain. I still have a sweet tooth. I eat artificially sweetened things but they don't taste that good (cake mix, frosting come to mind). I find that fruits help with my sweet cravings. I also eat graham crackers now and then for my sweet tooth, or Greek yogurt that has a sweet something in it. Good luck taming your sweet tooth!

Report Inappropriate Comment
TIMOTHYNOHE 11/13/2012 9:58PM

    Thank you for the warning.

Report Inappropriate Comment

Add Your Comment to the Blog Post


Log in to post a comment.