Xylitol 10 times more toxic to dogs than chocolate
Tuesday, November 13, 2012
As I was researching Xylitol as a sweetener today I found out that it is much more toxic than I thought. It spikes blood sugar in dogs (but not people) and leads to very severe hypolycemia and liver damage in very small dosis and will kill dogs in only slightly smaller dosis.
Treatment must be very quickly to save the dog's life.
Here is a short article with more info:
This is making me rethink using Xylitol as a sweetener. In spite of safety precautions accidents can happen. It would not be worth it.
I am also finding out that Xylitol in the form that we buy it may not be a very natural sweetener at all. Stevia, even though not as tasty, may be a healthier choice.