Sunday, November 11, 2012
Yep. I am a “Bean-Cooking Fool” today.
That’s because I finally remembered to be a “Bean-Soaking Fool” last night. I really prefer the richer nuttier taste and texture of beans cooked from dry over the canned ones. It is cheaper AND it eliminates so much sodium! The problem is I have to remember to do this on the weekend because I get home too late to cook anything that long during the week.
I finally came up with a process that works beautifully for me to freeze them:
• Soak beans overnight
• Cook until done (varies widely between different varieties and size)
• Rinse and cool off in COLD water (I do this right in my cooking pot)
• Drain and refrigerate for a couple hours to dry off a little
• Freeze in a single layer overnight
• Break apart any that are frozen together
• Store in freezer bags
Then, when I need some for a recipe, I take out just what I need either the night before or just soak in some hot water to thaw for a few minutes. I like to make my own hummus, but I like to make smaller batches and this makes it easy without any waste…because sometimes you’re in the mood for hummus, but don’t want to eat it every day for 5 days (which is what happens if there is no one else in your home that will eat it!) and you HATE to throw out food.