As most of you know, I was supposed to go to Hawk Mountain with my SparkSisters, Dottie and Melissa, yesterday. There was an unforeseen problem and we had to change our plans at the last minute. Which was fine because we got to go someplace beautiful AND get in a great workout.
Bushkill Fall is in the far northeast corner of Pennsylvania. We were there in the summer several years ago and, even then, knew we'd be back in the Fall sometime and this was it. I hope you enjoyed the video. (If you'd like to see what the Falls look like in the Spring/Summer, please visit my photography site and look for the album from Bushkill: kalathia.shutterfly.com/
Today was a busy day. According to the weather, Hurricane Sandy is coming our way, so I wanted to hit the grocery store to pick up a few things to get us through the next few days. I couldn't believe my eyes! There wasn't a single loaf of bread left on the shelf. Fortunately, I didn't need any. But, really?!
Once finished my shopping, I actually cooked today! I know how shocked you all must be, but try not to keel over in a dead faint, ok? I made two SparkRecipes: Easy Slow Cooker Chicken Dinner and Black Bean and Sausage Soup. Both met my criteria of being super easy to make. They were also REALLY good! Try them; you'll like 'em!
Last night, after Bushkill, I went to out to get some rain gear. I bought a waterproof "rain suit" and some boots so that, even with the hurricane, I can still get outside and exercise. It's a good thing I did, too, because Dottie tells me there's a sign on the door of the gym that they're going to be closed tomorrow because of the storm. Anyway, after cooking today and watching a little football, I donned the rain suit and headed out for a run. When I left the house, it was drizzling and there was almost no wind. Soon, it wasn't even raining! I ran for 3.1 miles (can you say, Trick or Treat Trot?), then walked to finish up my 60 minutes of cardio I had scheduled for today. During my run, I discovered how hot that rain suit is! Next time I wear that thing, I'll have on shorts and a tee shirt under it instead of sweats! About the last half mile or so, the wind kicked up and it got a little chilly, but I was glad I did it. Now I'm ready for tomorrow.
I'm pretty certain I'm going to be off from work tomorrow, what with our Governor already declaring PA to be in a "state of emergency" and the mayor of Philly going on t.v. to tell people to stay home so as to not cause any unnecessary difficulties for first responders. With the gym closed, I'll have to reschedule my strength training, but I won't have any trouble getting in my cardio. If the weather's too bad, I can always pop in my Leslie Sansone dvd and march along right in my living room. The only problem with that is she's so darn perky. Oh, well.
This afternoon, I posted a challenge for my team, Come On, Light Your Fire! ( www.sparkpeople.com/mysp
) It was to write a blog about your SparkList (Things you want to do, see, accomplish before you die). Since it wouldn't be right for me to issue a challenge and then not meet it, here is my SparkList (not necessarily in order of priority):
1. Retire by age 62 (sooner if possible)
2. Volunteer at an animal shelter
3. Take a good course in dog training and possibly become a dog trainer
4. Reach my goal weight and stay there
5. Live longer than my son, that way I'll always be around to watch over him.
6. Have the following breeds of dog as companions: Border Terrier, German Shepherd Dog, Belgian Sheepdog, and another Golden Retriever.
7. Rescue a Greyhound.
8. Hike at Ricketts Glen State Park again
9. Run in the Garden of Reflection 5K next September and better my 2009 time. This run is to benefit our local 9/11 memorial.
10. Retire to a small home, located in a quiet, private location.
11. See the Grand Canyon.
12. See the northwest coast of the United States
13. Travel to Italy to see the small fishing village where my great-grandparents were born
14. See the movie version of "Les Miserables"
15. See the new movie about Abraham Lincoln that's coming out around Thanksgiving, I think.
16. Vacation in Pigeon Forge, TN.
17. Have "Michelle Obama" arms.
18. Find an informal singing group/chorus to join
19. Take some yoga classes
20. Improve my skills in PowerPoint and Windows Live Movie Maker
21. Get better at operating my video camera
That's all I can think of for now. I hope all of you have big dreams for your SparkList and that you turn your dreams into realities!