Tuesday, October 23, 2012
(For information on the title of this post, you may want to start here: http://www.sparkpeople.com/myp
I only have time for VERY quick updates, but things are going pretty well this week so far:
- I love my new job so far. Tomorrow I will have been there officially one week, which is kind of crazy considering that I had no idea I'd be at a new job at the beginning of this month. The work is fulfilling and fairly directed, which is what I like. And oh my, is there enough work. It's great not being bored, but I'm still new so I feel pretty overwhelmed at times.
- With my new job, my surly teenager, my pets, my board games, etc., AND with it getting darker outside so much earlier AND my main form of exercise a few months ago was walking along a busy road, I've almost entirely cut out fitness from my life. It's not desirable, but I had to start cutting things.
- I don't have time to do much, so I have to make what I do count. So I'm tracking my food DILIGENTLY. Weighing, measuring, planning ahead, and counting every calorie. It's easier, I think, to lose weight when I'm exercising, but it's just not something I can do much during the week right now.
- I'm experimenting with only weighing myself once a week. I've been a steadfast daily weigher, even when I wasn't recording my calories or being physically active, I would still step on the scale every morning. The problem, however, was that as the scale crept gradually up my mood and outlook crept downward. So now I will be weighing myself Monday mornings. I'm hoping that will help keep my face in check over the weekend. We'll see.
- I've developed a reward jar! Every day that I stay within my calories I get a dollar in my Awesome Jar. I'm saving up for a new board game that I wouldn't normally have purchased. I had tried this in the past, but was punishing myself for every day I went over my calorie range by taking a dollar out. That made the system very discouraging. So now, no punishing myself! That should have been a no-brainer (Like, duh, I had to think about that?) but I was trying to make the idea of going over my calories so unappealing that it didn't happen too often. But that didn't work so well. And I like my new Awesome Jar strategy better.
- I feel kind of lousy about my weight loss situation. I've gained almost all of the weight I'd ever lost back. I'm not exercising (other than trying to incorporate extra movement into my day-to-day activities) and I can tell I've lost most, if not all, of my previous fitness level. I'm no longer even hiking with my regular group because with the variety of injuries I've sustained over the summer and the variety of lazy that I've gotten into, I'm not sure I could keep up. In fact, I guarantee that I could NOT keep up, because I could barely keep up before.
- But I know I need to start somewhere, and I've decided to start where I am. Once I get back on track with tracking, and some of the craziness in life calms down a bit, I can try to add bits of fitness back in somehow.
- Thanks to everyone backing me up in my fight to keep the baby foreskin graft off my body.