Lessons from a Detour
Monday, October 15, 2012
I've been struggling for a couple of months now, but I finally went off on a detour. I have come back now and have been on the Spark Road for 3 days. On my detour, I took my new hobby of cooking healthfully and turned it into cooking sweetfully. I was enjoying my cooking and my friends and family were enjoying it even more! I started veering from my Spark Cook Book and my Cooking Light cookbook and started cooking gourmet recipes from the 2 Gourmet cooking books I have and the Julia Child Mastering the Art of French Cooking my husband bought me. (because he loves me!). I thoroughly enjoyed the cooking, but started enjoying the eating even more. I have been eating butter, cream, and all sorts of baked goods every day. When DH went on his camping trip in September I baked up a storm and put the baked goods in the freezer for his return (after many samples though!) . He loved the food and we enjoyed it for a week or so then I woke up. I was right back into my compulsive overeating of sweets. Once I started I couldn't stop. It was awful. I felt like I was right back where I started 3 years and 90 pounds ago...except that now it wasn't 90 pounds ago, it was 80 pounds ago. I gained 10 pounds with my cooking and eating compulsively. I woke up and am back on the path. DH knows I won't be able to make the "special" treats any more and I have stopped all treats for 3 days now. In those 3 days I lost 3 pounds so some of the gained weight was water weight from all the extra salt, etc. I have set a new goal to return to the weight I was at the beginning of 2012 by the end of 2012.
1. I come first...my health and happiness is worth far more than smiles on friends and family faces from my treats..Their smiles will be even bigger when they see how healthy and happy I am.
2. Healthy cooking can be as fun and challenging as Gourmet cooking
3. My weight will come back on a lot faster than it went off if I don't continue to eat healthfully
4. I can exercise all I want, but if I don't watch my intake, I will gain weight
5. Blips don't mean failure...this was a lesson I needed to learn to maintain my weight and hopefully, I learned it!
6. Life and the journey goes on!