10 Uses of Baking Soda
Wednesday, October 03, 2012
Summer comes with all kinds of issues to resolve-from how to best clean the grill to how to ward off animals from eating your garden to how to soothe bee stings, poison ivy, and sunburn. But if you have a box of baking soda on hand, you already have the remedy for these and myriad other potential summer sagas.
1. Slough off dry skin by using it as a face and body scrub.
Baking soda cleans and exfoliates without harsh chemicals or additives!
2. Relieve itchy skin from insect bites, rashes, sunburn, heat rash, wind burn, and poison ivy.
Baking soda soothes skin! Mix some with water to create a paste and dab it on the affected area or add one cup of baking soda to the bath to cure widespread itches (so long as the skin is not broken).
3. Apply it to relieve bee stings.
Believe it or not, if you mix baking soda and water into a paste and apply it to a bee sting, you will feel nearly instant relief.
4. Apply it on jellyfish sting to inactivate the toxin.
Yes, baking soda inactivates the jellyfish sting toxins.
5. Keep your cut summer flowers fresh longer.
If you add a teaspoon of baking soda to your water-filled vase, it will naturally ensure the water retains neutrality so that it does not become overly acidic or alkaline-both of which will cause flowers to wilt more quickly.
6. Scatter it around flowerbeds to prevent rabbits from eating your plants.
It is a natural deterrent!
7. Sweeten tomatoes as they grow by sprinkling it on the soil around your plants.
Baking soda helps neutralize soil, too, which helps create optimal growing conditions for tomatoes and other garden edibles.
8. Wash fruits and vegetables with it.
It's a non-toxic way to cleanse food fresh from the garden!
9. Use it to clean your barbecue grill!
When you sprinkle baking soda onto your grill and scrub or wipe it off, you get the same abrasive power of other cleaners without any chemicals!
10. Remove hair product build-up and neutralize oily scalp!
Add a little baking soda to your shampoo and you'll strip away layers that won't depart with a mere shampoo washing.