Several people asked for my pumpkin chocolate chip recipe. The modifications I mentioned in my last blog are what I do consistently. Any time I make bread or muffins I use Greek yogurt instead of oil. I've tried applesauce and I like yogurt better. I love Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything cookbook and app.
recipe (my healthier choices)
* 4 eggs (sometimes, I'd use 2 eggs + 2 egg whites, this time I stuck with 4 whole eggs)
* 2 cups sugar (1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup honey)
* 1 (16 ounce) can pumpkin
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil (1 1/4 c plain Greek yogurt)
* 3 cups flour (whole wheat flour)
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 2 teaspoons cinnamon (3 teaspoons)
* 1 teaspoon salt (omitted)
* 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (6 oz)
1. In large mixing bowl beat eggs, sugar, pumpkin, vanilla and oil until smooth.
2. Mix dry ingredients together and mix into pumpkin mixture. Fold in chocolate chips.
3. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups 3/4 full.
4.Bake at 400 F for 16-20 minutes.
It made 24 delicious muffins. I don't use recipe calculators so I am not sure of calorie count. Sorry about that. At this point, I do my best to live by a whole food approach and appropriate portion sizes and listening to my body.
Let me know if you try them! Or any other good cooking substitutions you like to use.