As my good friend ONEKIDSMOM tries to tell me, ‘exercise’ should be fun! As a reformed couch potato, I haven’t quite bought into her theory, but I have to admit I’m enjoying those things I did as a kid like swimming and horseback riding.
builds endurance, muscle strength and cardio-vascular fitness” and can be used as a warm up and cool down for ‘land’ workouts. But the best (as far as I’m concerned) is swimming is a “form of meditation”. swimming.about.com/od/sw
The website health.howstuffworks.com
describes 10 benefits of swimming:
1. You Just Might Live Longer (50% lower death rate than runners)
2. Lower Stress, Higher Spirits and a Better Brain
3. Lower Risk of Diabetes
4. Improved Cholesterol
5. Improved Asthma Symptoms
6. Weight Control (not sure I agree with this one – depends on how intensely one swims…)
7. A Healthier Heart
8. Improved Flexibility
9. Increased Muscle Tone and Strength
10. The Ability to Do More with Less – you only bear 10% of your weight
For more information on benefits you can visit www.lifescript.com/diet-
I started this blog to talk about riding a horse.
Benefits of Horseback Riding include:
• Improved balance and muscle strength.
• Improved coordination, faster reflexes and increased motor planning.
• Stretching of tight or spastic muscles.
• Decreased spasticity.
• Increased range of motion of joints.
• Improved respiration and circulation.
• Stimulates sensory integration.
• Improved visual spatial perception.
• Improved eye-hand coordination.
• Improved self-confidence.
• Improved risk-taking abilities.
• Development of patience.
• Emotional control and self-discipline.
• Expansion of locus of control.
• Development of respect and care for animals."
Need I say more?
Here's to 'playing' our way to becoming "AWAKE! ALIVE! AWARE! and Appreciative of ALL that IS".