Wednesday, September 19, 2012
I have really been doing well for a long time now. NOT perfect everyday, but the habits are there and I quickly recover when I "stumble." Yesterday was a stumble, and I wanted to record the variables so I would better recognize the potential next time.
1. Just started a new job. LOVE IT. But it is WAY more responsibility than I was told. I am actually very pleased with that, because for many years I have felt underutilized and not challenged. I GOT THIS.
2. I don't sleep well. Not sure what this is about, but it seems no amount of limiting caffeine, adding exercise, OTC remedies seem to help. I wake up with my jaw clenched. The only thing that seems to help is Clonopin - so I might need to talk to the doc about that. I can't do Ambien or stuff like that - unless you think driving a car when you're in REM sleep is a good idea.
3. It was RAINING. I hate rain! I am a sunshine worshipper. I can physically feel the difference the minute the clouds begin to move in.
4. I AM AN EMPATH. My brother is weakening. He knows it and has been so depressed and afraid. I just want to make it all better, but I can't. And I know it's going to get worse.
5. FINANCES are still a problem. I have GOT to get as disciplined about my finances as I am about my health now. I don't spend tons of money frivolously, but I don't plan appropriately and always end up worrying myself to death about getting to the end of the month and payday. I just got a great raise with the new job, so this is a good chance to get things in order. I MUST GOT THIS.
So, other than the sunshine which I can't control, this all boils down to STRESS. And what have I learned about stress?
1. You can't eat it. Eating crappy stuff only makes me feel worse and adds to my stress levels.
2. You CAN exercise it down. Working out my body allows me to work out those stress responses that can cause binging, headaches, fatigue... it is a MIRACLE worker. I also do a lot of good thinking when I'm working out.
3. It is not going away. There are always great days in life and crappy days in life. That's just the way life goes... so on the CRAPPY ones, don't make it worse by doing CRAPPY things to yourself! Duh!!
I GOT THIS... DAMN IT.