My initial efforts in the BLC20 were severely derailed by my father’s death on Thursday, Day #2 of a 91 day challenge. I made a very short-term pledge to continue a healthy eating pattern in spite of the many goodies that would be thrown my way. I did a reasonable job with this pledge. As far as other things go, I have cut myself a little slack and promise that I will be back on track by Wednesday (start of Week #2).
This part of the journey is where it gets a little scary. I am approaching a new threshold: the 170s. I am near my lowest weight since I started SparkPeople almost 5 years ago. I don’t think I have weighed under 180 in at least 25 years. I’ve gotten close before, but it seems like whenever I do, I self-sabotage, and next thing you know, I am looking at the door back to 200ville. Also, my next goal after reaching 170ville is actually not to reach 160ville. At 173, my BMI will be considered “normal”. High end of the range, granted, but I want to be normal!!! Also, it is possible that my goal weight should be a little higher than the 152 I have looked at for years. I have chosen that weight because it would mean 80 lbs. lost on SparkPeople. Also, it is close to my wedding weight,, when I felt I was too heavy but now looks pretty good.
Here are all my goals to try to try to achieve that:
• Track everything I eat, within reason.
The above goal has proven tough for me. It is not out of laziness. Rather, the problem is a combination of mindless eating and eating things that I really have no clue about the nutritional content. To that end, my goals are:
• Absolutely no eating after dinner (keep in mind I usually eat pretty late, so there is no reason why I should be eating after that). Only exception is fruit if I really feel that something is necessary.
• Try to avoid things that I have no clue about the nutritional content (these are usually prepared foods or snacks). If I do eat something that falls into this category, I will do my best to estimate. If that is not possible, I will at least make note of it in my tracker.
As far as exercise goes:
• Aim for at least 30 minutes of cardio daily, 5 days a week. This is bare minimum. I usually do better than that.
• Do some form of strength training 6 days a week, alternating body groups. This has been REALLY tough for me.
A few others:
• 5 servings of freggies daily, at least two of which are vegetables. I like lots of freggies, but I have slipped on this, largely for lack of being prepared. I will go shopping soon and change this. I also want to try some new green shakes (ideas welcome here).
• Participate in every weekend challenge, at least a little bit. Hoping for more than "just a little", but unless it is absolutely necessary, I don't want to report that I was too busy to do anything to earn some points for the team. I made the commitment to this challenge and to the team. There were others who would have gladly taken the place that was given to me.
• If I do indulge in unhealthy options, I will acknowledge them but not talk about them in detail on this site. This may sound a little weird, but I do not want to glorify them. I want my team to succeed, and I don’t want to be an enabler of bad habits.
Here are some pictures for everyone's viewing pleasure. Actually, I am glad I got these pictures.