Thursday, September 13, 2012
I'm sure there are more than five things that have held me back in my attempts to get healthy and lose weight, but here are the big ones:
1. Time. As a single working mom, there is so much on my plate, and I put myself last. (To be honest, I did this even before the divorce, but it's even more true now that I'm working 40 hours a week and am a single parent.)
2. Money. I have thought "I can't afford to join a gym" until just last week, when I finally decided that I can't afford NOT to have some kind of committed exercise plan, in this case water aerobics.
3. Procrastination. (Otherwise known as "I'll do it later/tomorrow/next week.") There are so many things I would rather do than exercise (reading, crafts, napping!) that it's all too easy to choose one of them. Having a water aerobics class I go to helps with this because it's a specific time and can't be put off.
4. Caving to cravings. On the food side of things, my biggest obstacle is my lack of willpower, particularly in restaurants. (I do better in the grocery store, most of the time.) When I eat a meal in a restaurant, it's hard to resist the temptation of appetizers, caloric beverages, and desserts.
5. Travel. I travel fairly often, and when I am away from home it's harder for me to make both good nutrition and exercise happen. On my last trip with my son, I did at least get in the hotel pool for a half an hour each night, but we still ate lots of unhealthy stuff. I know in my head that it's possible to eat healthy on the road, but I haven't had much success actually doing it. This is an area I definitely need to work on.