Leaves of Change Challenge Week 1
Saturday, September 08, 2012
Here is the list of five things that have held me back in the past from sticking with my weight loss and fitness goals:
1. I always looked at losing weight as a diet. I would go gun-ho for awhile and then slid back into my old eating habits. But in order to really lose weight, I need to look at it as a life style change and not a diet. I can still eat the foods I like just in moderation. (Learned this tip from reading The Spark this summer)
2. Excerise- I hated to do it with a passion. I would have to force myself to do 30 minutes of it a day. I use to make excuses for why I couldn't workout (didn't feel good, tired, something better to do).
3. Surrounded myself with negative people in my weight loss journey. I listened to their not so nice comments and attitudes towards overweight people and I started to believe it. Also joined TOPS for a while, but it was just a bunch of old ladies who liked to complain about their weight on meeting nights and then go to the chinese place or pizza place after the meetings.
4. Bought into my grandma's excuse that people on her side of the family were just big boned structured people. Thought if grandma said it must be true!
5. Loved the convience of fast food while going to college. Then carried over that bad habit into my working career.
Now I know that I let a lot of bad habits help put on the extra weight. Now that I have gotten back with SparkPeople and read The Spark, I now have the tools and know how to lose the weight and keep it off for good.
Now I plan on:
1. Looking at my weight loss as a life-style change. I will keep changing my eating habits to make them healthier and learn to really appreciate what goes into my body now.
2. Excerise- I have learned to love it. I do some form of excerise 7 days a week for 60 minutes or more. I even have craved it at times. I turn to excerise when I am really feeling stressed or waiting to do emotional eating. I have even joined a gym with a friend.
3.Now I surround myself with positive people. I have a great support system in my family, a few close friends and my SparkPeople family. I don't listen to the negative talk anymore. I am always looking at the positive side of my weight loss and fitness journey now.
4.Now know that I have no excuses for the way I look today, other than I was slowly eating myself to death. I am working hard to become a slimmer, trimmer person. I would love to be a role model for someone who is struggling with their weight just like I do.
5. Now I take the time to prepare my food. I also measure out my food and eat only the portion size now. My dh and I eat most all of our meals at home. But if we must eat out, I will pick something off the menu that would be the most healthiest. I don't get sucked into eating the fast food like I use to. If I do now, I actually get sick to my stomache and have bathroom issues.
I think I have the knowledge and tools to reach for the stars and lose this weight once and for all.