Recently I recovered from a really big scare, which actually turned around into being a really good thing!
Last Tuesday while writing a note to some of my friends on SparkPeople my computer locked up. Now this is not so unusual, but what was unusual is that it never came back up! I got the dreaded blue screen, only this time I knew it was serious. It told me that my systems registry file could not be found or was corrupted!! I got sick!! No Computer??
I started thinking about all that was on my computer; MY LIFE!! I totally freaked!! Oh sure… I have a backup service that does regular backups of my computer, but that didn’t seem comforting to me at this moment, so I began having a melt down! AGH!!
While my computer was in the shop and I didn’t have this cyber space screen to stare into… something happened to me. I found myself looking for productive things to do.
• Buddy and I walked.
• I cleaned out a roll top desk that was becoming a catch-all for everything that I would ‘find a place for later’, but never found the time. Now it's clean and empty!!
• I also cleaned out my book case, going through the tons of material and books on Fat, Weight Loss, Calorie Counting, Low Carb, High Carb, and Stopping the Insanity. I realized that I've been on a diet most of my life...EVEN WHEN I WAS THIN!! I threw them all away!!
• Then I focused on the computer cabinet. Papers, papers, and more papers of stuff that I wondered to myself, “What was I saving this for?” or “Why did I print this?” GONE!!
• I baked for my family
• I cleaned the kitchen cabinets
• I started a cross stitch that I forgot I had, and now I work on it every evening while sitting with my husband watching TV.
There was good feeling being productive and an even better feeling of freedom when I got rid of all the clutter!! How does that happen? What would happen to me if I never de-cluttered or if I just sat all day doing nothing? Would I become one of those Hoarders that you could watch on TV?? OH MY!!!
My computer is back and actually running like new. I have my life back, too! Oh not the ‘life’ that I thought was on my computer, but the ‘life’ that I live everyday taking care of myself, the people I love, and the space I live in.
Life is Good!
(And thank God for my Geek friends at Computers Plus!)