Advertisement -- Learn more about ads on this site.

1,000-2,499 SparkPoints

Food Rant

Friday, August 31, 2012

I started going to Zumba class not too long ago and I've been enjoying it. I spoke to the teacher last night and she talked to me about eating a better diet. I do know that I need to improve on it a bit, but I really don't want to cut out all of the things that I really enjoy eating. There are some things that I would just miss too much. She got onto me about things like a hot dog and pot roast, saying that I wouldn't be able to have those if I changed my diet. She said there is too much fat in it. I started looking into that with the food input section on this and most things that I have eaten do not have a huge amount of fats in it. I really think I may just use this site for that purpose. I did it all by myself a few years ago and lost weight. I do need to start walking again though for added exercise.

Member Comments About This Blog Post:
TRAVLNWOMAN 9/1/2012 9:55PM

    Hot dogs are a staple for me! I did switch from regular hot dogs to turkey dogs though. I had decided from day one that there would be no foods that I couldn't eat. Portion control, and limiting my weakness food (ice cream, chocolate and cookies) allowed in my house has worked for me. If I buy a carton of ice cream, it is with the knowledge that I am going to eat the whole thing in 2 days. I do it and am done with it for another couple of months.

Report Inappropriate Comment
GINTAMAJSQUARE 8/31/2012 11:30PM

    Thank You all for your support and comments!! I feel much better now that I have read your words of encouragement!! I was a bit upset about what she had said to me about my diet and it being all wrong. I will admit to it needing improvements, but I do not think it is all wrong.

Report Inappropriate Comment
TIFFANYACHING 8/31/2012 1:48PM

    Hi, I agree with Nichole, although I'm a SP newbie the community is very friendly and supportive I'm sure you will get all the encouragement you need. Wishing you all the best!

Report Inappropriate Comment
SALONKITTY 8/31/2012 12:20PM

    Well, contrary to all sorts of advice from "experts", I eat a high fat, low carb, moderate protein diet and am steadily losing weight. I feel great and have tons of energy. From what I have learned and read in recent months, it's not fat that's the problem. Check out the documentary Fat Head (free to watch on Hulu, but is also available on netflix, amazon, etc.). I do restrict certain foods as I have found out what I need to do in order to lose weight and take care of my own health issues. I don't restrict fats, though.

Your instructor is right about diet being really important. If you're hoping to improve your health and your body, diet is about 80% of the battle, and exercise is the other 20%.

SP has a pretty good tracking system. You can adjust your macronutrient goals (carbs, fats, proteins) as well, in case you didn't already know that. Best wishes! emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
TIG123GER 8/31/2012 10:58AM

    I agree with Nichole. You just have to look at the big picture, know what your specific numbers are, and stay within your goals. If you really want something and you keep denying yourself, you'll either go crazy, eat it in a huge quantity, or get frustrated and quit - none of which are good choices. Obviously cutting back on fat intake is a good idea, both health wise and for weight loss, but you can't get rid of all of it. You can do this so don't let anyone tell you you can't have something - it's all a matter of moderation.

Report Inappropriate Comment
GOOSIEMOON 8/31/2012 10:56AM

    I agree with NICHOLE_4. The surest way to make it feel like a "diet" (which to me feels temporary) rather than a lifestyle change, is to restrict certain foods.
There is such a thing as a proper portion of pot roast, which can be enjoyed like all other foods - I'd be wary of nutrition advice from such a rigid point of view.

Good luck!

Report Inappropriate Comment
NICHOLE_4 8/31/2012 10:34AM

    I don't agree with her! WHen you deny yourself foods then you start to crave them which makes it harder to stay away from. My doctor told me to eat between 1200-1500 calories and no more then 30 grams of fat a day to lose weight. So I eat what I want, just stay with in those ranges! Good luck!

Report Inappropriate Comment

Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

Log in to post a comment.

Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.