Monday, August 27, 2012
We had out-of-town company this weekend. As most people do when entertaining we had special foods and some meals out at nice restaurants. While I did better than I would have in the OLD days (didn't order dessert, had dressing on the side, drank water as my beverage) I still FAILED and the scales showed a 2 pound gain this morning!
I've been facing this enemy for 3 decades. I'm sure you have encountered the "army of obesity". They have BIG weapons and sneaky tactics. Let me list them for you so you know what YOU are up against when you face them.
THE BIG GUNS:
Restaurant Sized Portions
BOGO and coupons
Celebrations and Parties
Expense Account Meals
TV and Print Advertising
Distraction and Redirection
Reminders of your Past Failures
Broken or lost food scales
Spoiled healthy food
Weather (rain/snow/extreme heat)
Bruises, Cuts, Scrapes, and Soreness
THIS IS A FORMIDABLE ENEMY! I have lost countless battles to this army but I have NOT lost the war! I have a NEW set of weapons and they are EFFECTIVE!
I got up this morning and "armed" myself for battle.
1. I got on the scales and faced the "size of the army".
2. I had a healthy breakfast with lean protein and fruits.
3. I pushed back against the enemy by getting on the elliptical early.
4. I wrote out a food plan for the day, Every victorious battle begins with a plan.
5. I have accountability at SP. This adds many soldiers to my side.
6. I have endurance. I will keep fighting until the war is won!
7. I enlisted additional soldiers (joined a SP challenge).
8. I cleared the obstacles from my line of sight so I can see the enemy better. (Tossed the leftovers from the weekend including that 1/2 gallon of premium ice cream.)
9. I made an ACTIVE "to do" list for the week which includes planned fitness minutes and activities to keep me off my computer chair.
10. I filled my 20 ounce water bottle first thing and will keep the water going all day.
This enemy may be a tough one but not impossible to beat. I just can't let my guard down for 3 days. Take a lesson from me and keep your weapons handy and FIGHT. It's worth it!