Friday, August 03, 2012
In my attempt to be transparent in my journey I felt I should share my fears with you. Yes I've lost a LOT of weight but that doesn't mean I haven't had to face down some pretty scary things!
1) Fear I will gain the weight back. This is huge because I have done this before. Not only did I gain the weight I had lost but I gained even more.
2) Fear my weigh loss will stall and I will be stuck halfway to my goal. I've had some plateaus and they are not fun. The more I lose the harder it gets!
3) Fear that my weight loss won't garner me the approval I so desire from certain people. I'm sure many of you can identify with this one. After decades of judgement, nagging I fear that the weight loss won't be enough.
4) Fear of elephant skin. I already have quite a bit and surgery is not an option so I hope I can live with the consequences of my obesity.
5) Fear of negative relationship changes. Will my "fat" friends disown me?
6) Fear of boredom. Will I grow weary of my program and start reverting to old habits?
7) Fear of feeling unfulfilled. The process of losing weight is like a project. When I achieve my goal will I lack purpose? Will I feel like "what next"?
8) Fear of food. Will I be able to eat in control? Will I be able to go to parties, holiday meals, and events and feel "normal"?
These are all real fears and they all require me to press on and trust myself to have the courage to face down whatever pops up in front of me.
So when you are feeling overwhelmed or fearful, know you are not alone. It's a long journey and requires both endurance and courage but it's doable!
Addendum: I don't want you to think I sit in fear every day. Most days I am strong and endure but I did want you to know I "do" have fears. I think for those just beginning it is easy to look at the results of others (down 75, 100, and more) and think they found some secret path that is obstacle free - it's not. The key is we just keep going!